Sluggish Hen. Is She Sick?

mbphotos09

Songster
Apr 14, 2015
Watching Chicken TV...
Today I noticed my hen was standing and sitting around a lot. She is also falling asleep constantly and is letting me touch and hold her (she never lets me get near her). If she does move around, she stops frequently and then falls asleep, either standing or sitting. She hasn't laid an egg in days either.
I picked her her up and examined her but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary besides her comb is flopped over and it hasn't been like that. I didn't see any mites but I'm not sure to look for. Does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong with her?? :(
Her are some pictures of her...

Thank you for any help!

I would start off by isolating her indoors so you can observe her poops (which are often a good place to look for abnormalities when diagnosing sick chickens) to make sure she is getting adequate water and food to rule out heat exhaustion dehydration and intestinal issues like coccidiosis. Having the comb flop over is not NECISSARILY a symptom unless like with fowl pox it is accompanied by small lesions. Here is a link regarding mites and treatment for the same. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-chicken-pests-how-to-protect-your-chickens-from-mites

Best Wishes!

Thank you for the reply!! :D
Thanks for the very informative link about mites/lice! I read it and, thankfully, I don't think that is what she has. I was going to isolate her but when I let her out of the coop this morning she was acting fine and seemed back to her normal self! The only difference is that when she pooped it was loose and watery. I'm hoping that she may of just been hot yesterday because she drank a lot of water last night before going to the roost.

Thank you for the reply!! :D
Thanks for the very informative link about mites/lice! I read it and, thankfully, I don't think that is what she has. I was going to isolate her but when I let her out of the coop this morning she was acting fine and seemed back to her normal self! The only difference is that when she pooped it was loose and watery. I'm hoping that she may of just been hot yesterday because she drank a lot of water last night before going to the roost.

I am happy to help. Do continue to observe her. Diarrhea is not normal and while i dont want to make you worry unnecessarily, quick action is always the best way to ensure the chicken doesnt become seriously ill. Heat of course is an all too likely culprit here but wouldnt be a common cause of lose wet plops. Let me know hows shes doing come tomorrow. Best wishes.

I am happy to help. Do continue to observe her. Diarrhea is not normal and while i dont want to make you worry unnecessarily, quick action is always the best way to ensure the chicken doesnt become seriously ill. Heat of course is an all too likely culprit here but wouldnt be a common cause of lose wet plops. Let me know hows shes doing come tomorrow. Best wishes.

She is still doing good this morning! I didn't get to see her poop because I was in a hurry, but she is back to her normal, bossy self. I'll still keep a close eye on her but I think she is better. Oh, and her comb is standing back up and not droopy! :D

She is still doing good this morning! I didn't get to see her poop because I was in a hurry, but she is back to her normal, bossy self. I'll still keep a close eye on her but I think she is better. Oh, and her comb is standing back up and not droopy!
big_smile.png

Glad to hear that! Let me know how she is looking tomorrow. Best Wishes!

She is still doing good! Her poop is normal and her comb is back to normal! She is a lot more friendly then she was too. I don't know why, maybe because I held her for a long time while she was sick? Lol, I'm happy with it though! Here she is feeling good!

Thanks for all your help!

She is still doing good! Her poop is normal and her comb is back to normal! She is a lot more friendly then she was too. I don't know why, maybe because I held her for a long time while she was sick? Lol, I'm happy with it though! Here she is feeling good!

Thanks for all your help!

You are welcome! I am so happy to hear she is doing better every day. With hens, friendliness has a lot to do with the interactions they experience although breed does play a part with temperament, my most gregarious birds are ones that whether through injury or illness needed some pampering and hands on care for a week or so. This really let them know that us humans really are to be trusted. Bonding with them in that way ca improve their disposition for years to come. Best wishes!

You are welcome!​ I am so happy to hear she is doing better every day. With hens, friendliness has a lot to do with the interactions they experience although breed does play a part with temperament, my most gregarious birds are ones that whether through injury or illness needed some pampering and hands on care for a week or so. This really let them know that us humans really are to be trusted.  Bonding with them in that way ca improve their disposition for years to come. Best wishes!

Very cool. :) I guess that's the reason she's gotten more friendly then!

Back
Top Bottom