Sluggish Hen not Eating,

TexasChicken12

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
I have a 1 year old Buff Orp hen who has recently stopped eating much at all and hardly drinks. She barely moves, and when she does she is slow and lethargic. Glancing at her she looks perfectly normal, except that she just stands there. Doesn't scratch, doesn't peck. She also will go and get behind or underneath a plant and just sit. Her comb and wattles are bright red and normal looking. I haven't seen her poop in a while, but the other day her droppings were very runny, frothy, and bright yellow/orange. She has been like this for a week. I just personally noticed on Monday, and come to find out, she has been like this for a few days before that according to my brother. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this. She is one of our favorites and I'd hate to lose her.

We recently had a 2.5 year old BO go through something like this. I tried to worm her, then did a round of antibiotics, and was setting up to do tube feeding when we lost her. She had stopped eating all together so the tube feeding was going to be the last ditch effort, but I lost her before the supplies got here. I didn't have a necropsy done, but I'm pretty sure it was some kind of cancer/internal issue (she had been "off" for a few months...thought she was molting).

If you haven't wormed her yet, that would be a good place to start. You may also want to contact Casportpony or Dawg53 as they seem to be two very knowledgeable people in regards to chicken illnesses and cures.

Hope she gets better for you!

Back
Top Bottom