SLW and GLW feathering coming in looks way different

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by newchickmom09, Sep 2, 2009.

1. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Golden Laced Wyandotte they are both 5 weeks old now. I asked a while ago about there combs because the GLW has a rose comb but my SLW doesn't. Well now they are starting to feather out and loose there down and the way there colors are coming in look totaly different. Which one is the right patern or is just because one is silver and the other gold and thats they way they feather in???

GLW~nice and neat (chick on right)
    [​IMG]

SLW~looks like a mess lol
    [​IMG]

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    You really have to wait until he grows. Getting a single comb out of hatchery stock is common.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They look streaky before the lacing really comes in. That's pretty normal.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Single comb is recessive and pretty commmon with hatchery stock. Feathers also look normal for teen feathers. Real adult ones wont be in for a few more months, and "mature adult" colors wont be in till their first big moult.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Hatchery SLWs rarely have the kind of lacing the breed should have. My SLWs that I hatched from breeder eggs had good lacing from the beginning. It seems like sometimes the hatchery birds' lacing improves as they mature, but often times it doesn't.

6. newchickmom09

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    OK, thanks I was wondering if once they get older it will change. Also they are from a hatchery so I was thinking they might not be close to the breed standards. When we chose the Wyandottes I was hoping to be able to show the SLW just for fun.

Thanks everyone!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You won't really know much till they are older. I have had five hatchery SLWs and one hatchery GLW. THe GLW looked better from the start and turned out to be a nicely laced girl.

8. newchickmom09

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    speckledhen~ I guess I just get impatient. [​IMG] You wait to get them, then wait to see what there new feathers will be like, then wait and hope you have hens, then wait for the eggs, then WISH you could go back to those little chicks again. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by