SLW hen pecking BO hen when she fluffs up her feathers.

littleflocker

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 7, 2011
Island County WA
My SLW hen Silver was pecking at my BO hen Juicy today. I wonder if silver is taking the fluffing the wrong way like when a roo fluffs up his hackles. I think silver is trying to be boss hen I just don't want all of the hens to turn on juicy. There are five others all hens seven all together. We had to re home our rooster so the neighbor could sleep. What do I do?

Keep an eye on the SLW and make sure she isn't actually attacking your BO. I got 2 RIR, 1 BR and 1 BO together at 3 days old. All of a sudden at almost four months old the RIR's, both of them, attacked my BO and actually got blood around her head in several places. I was outside putting up some fencing on their kennel and saw them literally attack her. She was screaming!!! They did it repeatedly until I put the two in the coop...they were rehomed that night while they were sleeping. I cannot tolerate attacking birds!!!! These attacks were not the ones where they are vying for pecking order. They were down right mean.

I hope you dont' have this problem as it is scarry!!! I was going to get some SLW, but after your experience I think I will stay with my BR and BO.

One thing I have noticed, the BO's are lowest on the pecking pole and never do anything to defend themselves. All three of mine are the same way. They have an order among the three of them but with the others all three are getting pecked. The worst pecker is the Black sexlink. She just has a mean streak in her.

I would keep an eye on her too.
My BOs are at the top of the pecking order, only being below a few game hens.

I would keep an eye on her too.
My BOs are at the top of the pecking order, only being below a few game hens.

Keep an eye on the SLW and make sure she isn't actually attacking your BO. I got 2 RIR, 1 BR and 1 BO together at 3 days old. All of a sudden at almost four months old the RIR's, both of them, attacked my BO and actually got blood around her head in several places. I was outside putting up some fencing on their kennel and saw them literally attack her. She was screaming!!! They did it repeatedly until I put the two in the coop...they were rehomed that night while they were sleeping. I cannot tolerate attacking birds!!!! These attacks were not the ones where they are vying for pecking order. They were down right mean.

I hope you dont' have this problem as it is scarry!!! I was going to get some SLW, but after your experience I think I will stay with my BR and BO.

I guess I got lucky with my RIR's I have two and they are super nice. Juicy has been fleeing from the presence of my slw silver, avoiding eye contact and running away. I think today silver climbed up a notch in the pecking order.

One thing I have noticed, the BO's are lowest on the pecking pole and never do anything to defend themselves. All three of mine are the same way. They have an order among the three of them but with the others all three are getting pecked. The worst pecker is the Black sexlink. She just has a mean streak in her.

My chickens are only six mos old but they seem to be the opposite of the usual characteristics for their breeds. My BO's seem to dominate the order right now, and up until now My SLW has acted like she thinks shes a BO. My 2 RIR's are at the bottom and 2 brahmas in the middle. weird. But they have yet to grow up all the way and figure it out.

Is your BO fluffing up her feathers? Any chance she's broody? Many of my hens will peck at a broody girl.

Is your BO fluffing up her feathers? Any chance she's broody? Many of my hens will peck at a broody girl.

Yes she has been fluffing her feathers when I let them out of the run to roam around in the sun. They were pecking at some oatmeal i put out and juicy started puffing up sitting still kind of crouching when my slw started pecking at her out of nowhere. You think its cause she's broody? I'm not sure since they are only six months old.

Back
Top Bottom