SLWs showing aggressive behavior

Lydia

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I purchased my two SLWs in June 2008, along with about ten other chicks and I haven't noticed any aggressive behavior until the last 6 weeks or so. They have been pulling feathers out of the behinds of my cochins and have been pecking at the comb of one of our Japanese Bantams to the point where they took off a piece of her comb. They are pushing other chickens off the roost in the coop and are randomly pecking at whichever calm and dolice chicken is nearby when they are out in the yard during the day. They did start laying recently so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this behavior but they are really causing some havoc in the flock.

Can anyone shed some light on what may be causing this agressive behavior and if there may be something I can do to fix it?

Last edited:
Wow. My SLW hens are docile and do their own thing within the flock; of course my chickens free range and the SLW certainly have a mind of their own. Now my SLW roo was aggressive toward my dog, but otherwise he was a sweetie.
idunno.gif

All my chickens are free range as well. I could understand if they were all confined together all day but they are outside- that's why I'm puzzled.

I have a SLW hen given to me as a chic last year after the fair, after a couple months i put her in with others, (mostly bantys) they literally ripped her apart, pecking at her, she was terrified, so i put her in the coop in a kennel for about 6 weeks, she emerged strong and now she is the head hen, yet inspite of how she was treated amoung the flock, she still has no aggresive behavior, so i hope someone comes along with some advice, especially since you free range, confined should not be an issue, but i did other day , hang a cabbage head in my small coop due to excessive rain and now cold temps, you may want to consider something like that to hold there attention , verses pecking or seeking out others to bully....good luck , i to am curious to see what others say about this situation and hope you get a solution

I tried to introduce a SLW along with a GLW. I could never get her past bullying the others, so I gave her back. The GLW was fine. It seems like I have heard of a few instances of SLWs being bullies, but it may be just one hatchery line? Also, hens do get to be b***** as they start to lay, then mellow out.
ETA--since this behavior is recent it probably will pass, if it gets really bad you could try separating the two out into their own section of the run until they settle down.

Last edited:
I had RIR's from McMurray behaving that way and I sold them. The coop has been completely peaceful since then, and no problems with birds picking on each other.

My wyandottes have caused no issues like that. Maybe you just have a bad strain?

Back
Top Bottom