Small brown thing in my eggs. No it's not a rooster!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by partsmaster1, Feb 17, 2015.

1. partsmaster1

partsmaster1 New Egg

Dec 7, 2013
    no it's not the yoke, that's yellow.:)
    I've never posted here but have found this site to be a wealth of knowledge. I have five girls producing plenty of eggs for my family. Recently we have noticed a small brown thing in our cracked eggs. It's not in every one but one or two out of a dozen. it looks like a small piece of debris but I am confident now it is coming from inside the egg.

Anyone have ideas?

2. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    can you post a picture? It sounds like blood spots to me. They're harmless to eat, and they happen from time to time.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It's what's called a "meat spot" It's a bit of tissue that got swept up from the pullet's reproductive tract and included with the egg. It won't hurt you to eat those eggs. After all, it's just protein. But, if it bothers you, you can use a spoon, or an egg shell to scoop it out of the egg before you use the egg.

1 person likes this.
  4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep. sounds like a meat spot. The eggs with the meat spots are probably coming from the same hen. Don't know that this is an issue for you, but since I've heard that the tendency to produce them is inheritable, I wouldn't keep any of that hen's eggs for hatching.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  5. partsmaster1

partsmaster1 New Egg

Dec 7, 2013
    Well an image search for Meat Spot nailed it

Thanks everyone for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by