Small Buff orpington chick

Rosypetals

Songster
Jan 11, 2018
I ordered fifteen chicks from Hoover’s hatchery, and they were all the same size. It’s now three weeks later, I have three new chicks, and two of my buff Orpingtons are the same size as the day old chicks. They eat right and are very healthy, but they are tiny. Any guesses as to how this happens? The three weeks old other chicks don’t pick on them at all, but I don’t want there to be a bigger problem in the future.

Sometimes a chick is just smaller. Sometimes it's a failure to thrive, and chicks don't grow due to some underlying health problem. Make sure you are feeding a good quality fresh chick starter, clean fresh water, and are brooding at a correct temperature. Also make sure the brooder is clean, you provide good air exchange without being drafty, and that they aren't crowded. That's about all you can do.

My EE and BR chicks are outpacing my BO by a good margin as well. I was almost wondering today if she was a bantam. Think she just isn't growing as fast. Can you post a photo?

My EE and BR chicks are outpacing my BO by a good margin as well. I was almost wondering today if she was a bantam. Think she just isn't growing as fast. Can you post a photo?
Yes, this is 1 of them- the one to the left is the small one and on the right is the larger one. Both are hens as ordered from the hatchery

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 18
That's about how much mine grew in 3 weeks. She's half the size of the BR which is a week older and little more than half the size of the same age EE.

Yes, this is 1 of them- the one to the left is the small one and on the right is the larger one. Both are hens as ordered from the hatchery
Mine came from a mixed bin that included bantams. I see that ideal (where my store buys from) sells bantam BOs. I think it's possible you got a couple. Pretty sure I got one. Now I wonder how she'll get along with 4 LF birds.

Back
Top Bottom