Small bugs in feed and scratch

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wxdude99, Nov 14, 2009.

1. wxdude99

wxdude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    I found thousands of small bugs in my feed and scratch. I sprayed insecticide around the sides of the bins i keep the feed/scratch in, and it appears to have killed all of the bugs. Even the ones inside the bins. My question is, can I still use the feed/scratch? Also, what kind of bugs could they have been. If my chickens ate them, would they get sick? Thanks.

2. sjh

sjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    All depends on what insectiside you used. Read the label. It will tell you everything you need to know. Still do not know call the 800 # on the container. You have given little info to make a meaningful answer.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Um.

NO, I would not use it- not only do you have toxins from the insect waste and more eggs in there, but the insecticide is likely to poison the birds, contaminate the eggs, and make your hens produce weak shells if they survive...in fact the bin should now be discarded or never used for anything other than refuse.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  4. ilroost

ilroost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    weldon il.
    no way ,never use feed with bugs or mice dropping in them

5. Oopoo

Oopoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    The bugs come from external sources and are getting in--check your seal on your container. OR they are hatching from the multitude of bug eggs that wind up in grain product. Your feed may be getting too warm and the eggs hatch. I keep the bulk of my food in the garage--cool in the summer and use a smaller tupperware type at the coop. But after using spray I wouldn't let my chickens touch it. Next time spray the area with soapy water and just freeze the food to kill the bugs, Chickens eat bugs so it's okay if they eat a live one or a bugcicle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by