small bugs

StoneyRidge

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
Bloomington, Indiana
I noticed one of my older chicks has a small bug similar to a flea that was on there head. I am now wondering how many of these chicks have similar bugs.

My question is can I get something and spray the chicks to kill bugs like fleas and such?

For a holistic remedy, just spread some food grade DE under the pine chips. Also, I add about 1 tsp per 10 pounds of commercial feed mixed with my own concoction. I have not seen a bug on my birds. I also spread it in their 'pecking' pen and on top of their roosting board.
big_smile.png

The first group was hatched right after Easter. They are 6 to 7 weeks old. The second group around that I discoved the bug on one of them is 5 weeks. The third group is 4 weeks old.

The oldest group are on ground. The other two are in a wire cage in my brooder room.

Possibly a stupid question but had the birds just been outside when you saw the bug...any chance it was just a normal outside bug that had hopped up on your chick.....I might do a better inspection to make sure the chicks really have bugs on them and it wasn't just a coincidence.....

Back
Top Bottom