Small chickens amongs flock

Yus745

Chirping
Jun 6, 2018
Recently i had bought 3 much smaller chickens 1 rooster and 2 hens i cant put them together as they will peck each other as theyre new and anyway they are much smaller so i have put the smaller ones on the other side of the fence i have 7 larger ones they are much larger these days i have been letting them see each other but not be able to peck my small ones are 2 months and big ones ranging from 4-7months when should i introduce them and let them roost safely
20181018_153700.jpg

ChickenGirl555

Crowing
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
Well I have an unusually small WCB Polish (she might actually be a bantam) and she was bullied and had dozens of "hair" feathers ripped out when I integrated her and her two brothers, but now she has a beautiful full head of hair and never gets picked on by any of my large hens except charged a few times by my grumpy Barred Rock.

I'd say just have lots of extra room so the bantams can run away and let the larger birds lose interest in them. It'll take longer and you'll have to let them peck each other a little before they are actually hanging around eachother like my WCB Polish is now (about 2 months after being completely together 24/7).

I guess its all up to the amount of aggression of your birds. Every bird is different and has different "opinions" on new chickens and integrations.

sylviethecochin

Free Ranging
Jun 14, 2017
Central PA
My bantams voluntarily separated themselves from the main flock. If you've finished the isolation period, then feel free to begin integrating by your preferred method, but keep a very careful eye on them. I'd provide some safe spaces that only the bantams can get into.

Shorty22366

Songster
Jan 1, 2018
Hobgood, North Carolina
I have my bantams with my large birds
My WCB polish is the only one to get harassed by my Sebright rooster. He is no longer a problem.. Hassey mixes in great with all her many sisters. I have 5 WCB polish and bantams, jersey giants, cochin, silkies and Favorellas

Top Bottom