Small coop plans for beginner

bren0990

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 19, 2015
Hi there,

I am just getting started in backyard chickens, my son is actually the one who is interested in raising some hens for eggs. We are looking to build an inexpensive small coop to start us off. We need something that can handle the wind because it is quite windy where we live. Does anyone have any links to good small (2 to 3 hen size) plans? I have done some searching here but can't seem to find something small and very detailed (although I imagine there are lots here somewhere!). I was checking out some ebay coops, but the reviews say they are a bit flimsy which wouldn't be good in the snow and wind of Newfoundland.

Thanks everyone!

this cost me only about 80 bucks and I'm only 14 by the way so it was pretty easy:) it can easily hold 5 or 6 hens

Last edited:
I like the look of that one and it has some good reviews. I guess in the winter you just keep shoveling out around it, do the chickens mind walking on snow? At least with this type, you can move it, shovel underneath it and then move it back!

Hi,

I have a wide open back yard with no fence and backing onto a drop so there are no tress behind us. There is a large detached garage in the back right corner but other that there is no cover. It is quite windy as well so I am really in a quandary about potential coop locations. The back of my house faces south so the southerly winds really rip through the back yard. Can anyone provide advice on coop placement?

I moved this info from another post.

All help greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom