Small Coop - Version 2.0

Nice looking coop. I like the sliding panel for ventilation window.
thumbsup.gif

I echo everyone else's opinion - the coop is fantastic. Just a word to the wise: I started with 3 bantams back in 2003. I got too sure that all was well and would take my good old time shutting the coop door at night...about like you - 1 to 2 hours after they roosted. Well, one night I went out and I only had 1 left and there were feathers everywhere. My beautiful little rooster, "Little PeeWee," and my pretty white silkie hen were gone and it was all my fault. After that, I never let it get dark before closing up the coop. I would hate for you to have to go through the guilt and sadness I went through (and still do many years later)!!

Quote:
Well, right now we are trying to break her of the habit of wanting to roost in a tree at night.

Last night I brought her into the run about 30 minutes before sunset and locked her up to hopefully get her used to the idea. Tonight once the new coop is attached to the run I'll shut her up in there at about the same time.

Hopefully a week or two of this and she'll start roosting there on her own which will make locking her in at night a lot easier.

Well here is the coop attached to the run..

coop6.jpg

coop7.jpg

The smaller wooden box is what I originally built as a coop for her (just a little on the small side, eh?). Since up until now she's been going into the smaller box to lay her eggs, I'm going to leave it in the run for a few days to help her adjust to the transition.

Hopefully she'll adjust to using the nesting box I built for the new coop instead..

coop8.jpg

Now I just need to attach the sloped roof (once the paint is dry) and it will be complete.

Looks like a home
smile.png
!

I wonder if you could take your original box, lay it on its side, cut a hole in your new coop, and attach the box as nest box.

It would be larger than necessary. I suppose you could put in a dividing wall and use half of it for coop space. Shame to have a good wooden box just laying around after she moves into the larger coop
wink.png

Steve

Back
Top Bottom