SMALL COOP

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by t-dawg, Sep 30, 2008.

1. t-dawg

t-dawg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Boston
    heyy guys, im bac! anyway, my question this time is, does anyone have any ideas for a SMALL chicken coop? im only talking three, and my yard is pretty much occupided, soo im just seeing if anyone has an ideas. i looked at the small coops on BYC, but they were much to big... and well, my dead line is soon, because its starting toget cold and my chicks are in the mail...

2. MiniDriver

MiniDriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    My three girls are very happy in this:

[​IMG]

Although it's currently swollen shut from too much rain.

Here's a similar one I bought mine from this company on ebay, and it's suited very nicely with a few modifications.

3. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

We have this for three chickens:

[​IMG]

~Phyllis

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    you might look at some of the tractor coop-design pages -- they are typically designed for 4 or fewer chickens, and some would be ok as stationary small coops. Basically though you don't need a design as such <g> just a box, probably 4x4 and at LEAST 2.5 ft high (ideally higher, so you can have a proper roost with room below it). You can have it raised on posts or platform so it's a convenient height for you to reach in and clean etc. That also allows you to have part of the run extend underneath the coop, good for inclement weather.

Be aware that it is much harder to run a good dry well-ventilated SMALL coop in winter weather. Not that it can't be done, but it is harder, requires more forethought and management and site selection, and may result in poorer air quality despite your best efforts. Consequently, even if you are legally restricted to just a few chickens it may still pay off to build the largest coop that is practical, just because it will make MANAGEMENT much easier and more pleasant.

Have fun,

Pat

5. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I love both coop pics...they're great!

6. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Mine was pretty simple. A dog house and run that's removable. Here's a pic. (It's small, but they get to run around the yard for an hour or two each evening.)

[​IMG]

7. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by