Small ducks?????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Squirtchy2009, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    Okay i need your help guys, my dad only let me have myy call ducks because they were small, now i think my duck enclosure would look great if i had a variety of ducks in it, are there any other breeds of ducks whichh are small or of the same size as a fully grown call duck.

I was thinking aylsebury but then again i think there the same as scovies so im not sure??? [​IMG]

Runners are a no no as well [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  2. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Silkies and Indies? I have one of each (little drakes) in with a couple of Silkie chickens and the neighbor loves to bring his visitors over to see them all (as we share a variety of poultry in pens on our mutual property line). They are awfully cute and don't make nearly as much mess as my bigger ducks do, who are in separate quarters. They come in other colors as well.

[​IMG]

3. catiecutie 123

catiecutie 123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2009
    Mandarins and wood ducks. I would choose mandarins because they're prettier and you don't need a permit for them. They're also quiet, but they can be skittish if you don't raise them yourself, so hatch them out. Also, they aren't domestic, so they can fly. Careful and good luck!

4. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    There are many colors of calls...I heard you can get bibbed now!
    and Indies are really pretty, I was thinking of getting some in fact [​IMG]
    I just realized you are "across the pond"...i am soooo jealous of the pretty calls you guys have there!!!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  5. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i had a snowy mallard for awhile, she was small, but not quite as small as a call... she was 2 pounds maybe?

There are also mini silver appleyards. Calls come in all sorts of colors as well. Here is a breeder who has lots of bantam sized ducks... if you want some next spring, put your order/deposit in early!

http://www.holderreadfarm.com/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by