Small Earthquake....did the guineas know?

Foghorn Mike

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 21, 2009
Virginia
So my guineas have been free ranging for the last few days and I leave them out a little longer every day. So today I was going to leave them out till about sunset but about 4pm they started raising heck. As I walk down to see what's going on, I start seeing some weird things. Three of them are laying down in the yard, another three are 30 yards away in the tall grass raising heck, three more in the coop and two are laying down in the floor. Never seen them lay on the ground like that or be split up, I figure these guys are pooped. So I wrangle them up into the coop, it takes about 5 mins and as soon as I put millet down for them "BOOM" and the coop shakes. I look at the gang and they could care less, they got millet. I get back to the house and my girlfriend says "did you feel that? the house just shook". I knew it was a small tremor but now that old "Twilight Zone" tune is playing in my head. Did those birds know that tremor was coming and that's why they were acting like that? Or, were they just tired. I guess I will never know but it makes you wonder.

Oh, I'm sure they knew the earthquake was coming, animals are very perceptive that way. I've heard many many tales of animals acting strangely before a natural disaster.

I'll bet the guineas did know! There have been many, many stories of animals behaving in unusual ways before earthquakes and other such things. I'll bet they have sensitivity to things that we don't. Guineas can be kind of obnoxious, but they sure can be handy in some ways! Thanks for sharing this interesting story.

They probably felt it coming. When we had an earthquake in Ga some years ago my dogs and cats suddenly jumped up and took off out of the house. Then the house began to shake.

Birds know these things. I have an amazon parrot and we lived in Louisiana during Katrina and Rita which both came about a month apart. Our amazon made a tent by pulling the newspaper from the bottom of his cage and draping it over his perch. Then he got inside of it and hid. He did it about a week before each hurricane hit. I have never seen him do it before or since then either.

Back
Top Bottom