Small flock considerations

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by writerdeman, Apr 29, 2009.

1. writerdeman

writerdeman New Egg

Apr 29, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    Hi,
    So nice to "meet" you. I'm looking forward to using this group and hopefully adding something to it.

My husband and i just retired, and although we've had chickens and done 4-H with our kids in that area, a lot of time has passed.
    We are getting ready to order again with my grown son, and I'm debating which breed(s) to get. We only want about 6-8 chickens, all told. Our ten acres is sided on two sides with with woods, so bobcats and other things are nearby.

I need:
    *A very cold-hardy breed,
    *I'm thinking rose combs so the combs don't show frostbite, (it gets down to -35 below 0 here)
    *a breed that can take care of itself where predators are concerned (at least to some degree); so no completely docile, laid back types, I guess, but I'd like to be able to handle and make friends with them--also I have two small grandkids.
    *hopefully beautiful and not-your-average-plumage,
    *I have an interest in keeping old breeds going, though don't have time to get too involved in a breeding program,
    *have had past success with breeds that roost high to avoid predators
    *I'd like fairly large eggs (at least medium!)
    We have:
    A great chicken house and are fairly experienced.

So far, I've come down to Dominiques,
    Silver Leghorns and Black Langshans. It seems like they would fill the bill. Would these be a good choice?

What about Hamburgs or RC Brown Leghorns? Ancona's or Andalusians, Wyandottes? We are ordering from Murray McMurray.
    I love the way all of the above LOOK.

What do you think??? I'd love to hear from those of you who've got plenty of experience.
    I've raised: Orpingtons, Brahmas, Silver Leghorns, Australorps, 1 R.I.Red, Cornish X, Sp Sussex (1)--got dead right away--predator

Hope this doesn't boggle you down with TMI, (too much information). Thanks in advance to those who might dare to advise me on this!

2. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    [​IMG]
    From california
    You have come to the right place with your questions
    Breeds with small combs do best in cold weather.

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN
    We have wyandottes and they are great. But it doesnt get that cold sown here. Im sure some else can give you more advise for your climate than I can.

4. yodercountrygirl

yodercountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from Missouri

5. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. writerdeman

writerdeman New Egg

Apr 29, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    Wow, thanks everyone, for the warm welcome!

I checked out the Saffles site and saw your Wyandottes. Pretty interesting colors, aren't they? And these are considered native and originated in Wisconsin, from what I've read. You have some great-looking birds.

I'm leaning hard toward the Dominques, right now. Can someone tell me, and this is where I'm really ignorant, how do I keep a good strain of Dominiques going? I've read conflicting things about this. One source says they are better layers when another breed is introduced...but how can that be? Don't you need to keep the line pure in order to keep reproducing true to form? (I'll call this question ONE)

Another thing I'd like to know is, will one rooster be too much for the 6 or 7 hens I plan to get? (Question TWO)

Thanks once again!!

7. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

Hi! You might find this info in the forums titled managing my flock, or chicken behaviors -- what I do is use the search tool in the same way I use google - it is simply *amazing* how much information is available here! I've seen folks ask that question before - and seen some folks answer 1 roo for 10 hens -- I only have hens so I am just recalling what I have read. I am sure other folks here are much more in the know on roo/hen ratios! Good luck!!! [​IMG]

8. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri

9. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    [​IMG]

10. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps