Small flying bugs??

WhoDatChick

Eggstatic Fanatic!
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 6, 2018
Nawlins, Louisiana
I just noticed my gals shaking their heads.. a lot! And when a I looked I could see these little flying bugs that are light in color and I guess look like some sort of gnat... they are landing on their heads and if another gal doesn’t eat it or if they don’t shake it off then it looks like the little buggers are crawling into their feathers!! What could this be!?

Gnats.
Get permethrin asap.
JPEG_20210423_174644_365706271834404172.jpg
JPEG_20210423_174356_1315816771838845968.jpg

I don’t know... lemmie go google them and see...
If it's gnats, like @Kiki said, get the permethrin fast as possible. Also hang vanilla-scented car air fresheners in the house (where chickens can't get to them) or around the door to help repel them. I lost two chickens before I realized what was going on. They aren't just annoying, they can kill. They can fly into airways and suffocate them. I had one die right in front of me. I also have chickens and roosters with feather loss because of the scratching from these evil things.

Was that it?
I’m not sure... I looked them up but I can’t really tell.. when I went out later they had seemed to be gone...

Today I noticed them scratching and shaking their heads again.. and they seemed to spend most of the day inside the run... maybe they aren’t as bad inside🤷🏼‍♀️... I haven’t gotten bit so maybe it’s not the black flies but just some annoying gnats.. maybe from all the rain we’ve gotten. Ill keep an eye on it...

If it's gnats, like @Kiki said, get the permethrin fast as possible. Also hang vanilla-scented car air fresheners in the house (where chickens can't get to them) or around the door to help repel them. I lost two chickens before I realized what was going on. They aren't just annoying, they can kill. They can fly into airways and suffocate them. I had one die right in front of me. I also have chickens and roosters with feather loss because of the scratching from these evil things.
So sorry about that! Yea, I knew they could kill.. @mixedUPturk had them kill lots of hers! She lives near me but when she dealt with them I never have... and thank you! I’ll get some fresheners as well.. ..

Back
Top Bottom