Small Garage Coop Design. Help!

The two biggest problems with that house is; 1) the size for the number of hens they have. It appears to be about 4' by 4' with the nesting boxes taking up a fourth of that space. 2) it has no ventilation.

Gotcha. I for sure have room to make mine bigger and I can totally add more ventilation. Do you think one large window on one side is enough though? Or do I need a hole on both sides?

Quote: TimandAndrae hit the high points.

Yes, you need probably need more ventilation than just one window.
You might be able to add some ventilation on the car side of the coop wall, but you'd probably want to put some filter material on it (which would then need to be maintained/cleaned)...because the dust can be unreal.

Post some pics of your garage.....and add your location to your profile and folks could give more specific advice.

I'm in your neck of the woods, actually, SW MI :) I'll add it to my profile.

I'll take some pictures this weekend. Thank you so much for your help!

Noting direction of garage sides and doors will help.

Woods style coop building needs to be certain proportions(depth to width to height) and open to the south.
Other venting is needed for spring summer and fall.

Where are you CWw, I'm near Paw Paw.

Last edited:
Woods has several plans and ideas for open sided coops. I was just reading his book today and the most notable thing for today was even if the wind is blowing directly into the open side, so long as the other 3 sides are solid, 4 feet in from the opening, you won't feel the wind blowing. In other words, the next time the wind is blowing at your garage door, open it and see how far back you need to stand to 'be out of the wind".

I would not put a vent into the garage or you will have the wind blowing straight through the coop, that would be known as a draft. Your 2x3 opening will give you enough ventilation so long as it has a roof over it to keep the weather out or you will have water in the coop and it needs to stay dry.

I'm originally from Kalamazoo.

Woods has several plans and ideas for open sided coops. I was just reading his book today and the most notable thing for today was even if the wind is blowing directly into the open side, so long as the other 3 sides are solid, 4 feet in from the opening, you won't feel the wind blowing. In other words, the next time the wind is blowing at your garage door, open it and see how far back you need to stand to 'be out of the wind".

I would not put a vent into the garage or you will have the wind blowing straight through the coop, that would be known as a draft. Your 2x3 opening will give you enough ventilation so long as it has a roof over it to keep the weather out or you will have water in the coop and it needs to stay dry.

Yep, same concept as run out sheds used for other livestock out in pastures.

You do need other vents, but you've got to close them up tight in winter.

How long since you left kazoo? hmm kazoo to NJ, pfizer?

So I could have the whole thing closed up inside the garage with just that window open? I think the roof of the garage will protect it from snow. From where the snow is laying, it doesn't seem to be building up much where I would have the run. I think I'd probably cover the run, too, to make sure to keep the moisture out of the coop.

I'm in Grand Rapids, where chickens will be legal in May! (I used to live in NJ!)

Back
Top Bottom