Small Hatchery Seeking Advice...

What is your Etsy store? I am interested in buying hatching eggs, and I would love to check it out! What that customer did isn't fair.

Good Morning,

Here is a link

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChickenHillFarm

We normally sell chicken and duck hatching eggs, but given that Florida is in icy grip of deep freeze (it has been in the mid 20's for the past 2 nights) our ducks have stopped laying. So we are only selling chicken hatching eggs for the time being. Apparently our chicken ladies are fine with the cold.

It is a Lavender farm mix, and given that our flock has a lot of brown egg layers its a surprise as to how many pure bred Lavenders you will get. Some have gotten none, while others have gotten 6 or more.

Buying hatching eggs online and having them shipped is always at one's own risk. If they can't handle broken eggs, they should collect them in person.

I see no reason at all for a refund on either "broken eggs" or all or whatever.

I just took a look at your Etsy page and found this:

"If you receive broken eggs, or eggs that were seriously shaken or disturbed during transit by a 3rd Party shipper don't fret! We insure all of our eggs for this very instance.

If you are the victim of a careless 3rd Party shipping service contact us via private message with a picture of damaged eggs as you received them. If you can see damage to the eggs through the bubble wrap DO NOT UNWRAP THEM. We will contact the USPS to start an investigation. "

No wonder this will tempt/entice scammers to do exactly what you are experiencing now.

Best not to give those people ideas.

I just took a look at your Etsy page and found this:

"If you receive broken eggs, or eggs that were seriously shaken or disturbed during transit by a 3rd Party shipper don't fret! We insure all of our eggs for this very instance.

If you are the victim of a careless 3rd Party shipping service contact us via private message with a picture of damaged eggs as you received them. If you can see damage to the eggs through the bubble wrap DO NOT UNWRAP THEM. We will contact the USPS to start an investigation. "

No wonder this will tempt/entice scammers to do exactly what you are experiencing now.

Best not to give those people ideas.

This could all be resolved with better packaging. If you continue to blame the USPS, your going to have broken eggs, and upset customers. You need to look at what happened and grow from it. Without innovation and adaptation your business will remain a hobby.

This could all be resolved with better packaging. If you continue to blame the USPS, your going to have broken eggs, and upset customers. You need to look at what happened and grow from it. Without innovation and adaptation your business will remain a hobby.

Thanks for the feedback, we are trying to up our packing game, but right now we use the same packing materials that everyone else uses, including some of the major hatcheries.

Not much more we can do to improve at this point.

Is it worth 6 bucks to argue with a crazy person?

Live and learn. Move on. Package better and take time to document packaging.

In this instance a fight is necessary given that the crazy person in question took a tour de force around the internet bad mouthing us to everyone hours before she even let us know that there was an issue with her order.

So its not just $6 anymore. It took us a day and a half to track down all of her posts and file disputes with the Facebook groups and get them removed. At this point the customer has cost us way more than $6 dollars in time and reputation to the point where she owes us a refund, lol.

Had the customer notified us that 6 eggs were broken, we would had filed the insurance claim with the USPS to let them figure out if it was mail fraud or not and in the mean time refunded her the cost of the 6 eggs.

Back
Top Bottom