Small Hole In Egg-I Think I Have Potential Egg Eaters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mylilchix, Dec 2, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I think 2 of my cochins are pecking at my other hens eggs! [​IMG] For 3 days now we've gotten eggs with either a bit of the shell cracked or a small hole in the egg. It's usually on the pointy end. I think my gold laced and red cochins are to blame, unless it's something else? I put some fake eggs in the nest boxes because I had a couple of hens laying under the roost, and I wanted to remind them where the eggs should go. After doing this I've watched both birds peck those eggs until they tossed them out of the nest boxes. How do I get them to stop!!!! [​IMG]

Sonja

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Is it possible that the eggs are cracked because there isn't a cooshy enough bed in the nest? Perhaps they are kicking the fake eggs out because they seem fake. (Some hens are good at knowing when a chick isn't developing right and will kick that egg out of the nest. Then again some broodies will try to hatch rocks.)

Anyway, how to get them to stop. Take one or two of their eggs and blow them out. Then fill them with mustard. Theoretically chickens can't stand mustard. (Disclaimer, I am only passing this tip on and have no idea if it will work for you).

3. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I read on a different forum that you can blow the egg and fill it with mustard. Then when they peck and eat it, they will get a mouth full of yucky stuff and be less inclined. It may take a few times of this before it completely cures.

That being said, I had a hole in the top of one of my eggs. At first I thought it was because I had an egg pecker, but then I realized that the nesting box was not as full of hay as it had been. So my Americauna had laid her egg and it hit the wood and made a little puncture. So make sure you have plenty of padding where they are laying also.

Also, once the girls have laid in the box, you can take the fake eggs out. Trust me! I have a cochin, too, she to the fake eggs always being there as a hint to go broody on me. Now I'm fighting to keep her OUT of the box and get back to laying eggs. [​IMG]

4. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    HA! cross posted with flakeychick and said the exact same thing! [​IMG]

5. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Sometimes if the shells aren't thick enough, the hen's toenails can make a small puncture too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by