small hypoallergenic dog breeds

Groomer for many yrs. here and a vet's assistant at one time. Nope, there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic breed. Allergies are caused by saliva and dander. All dogs shed, some just do it at a much lower rate than others. It's mistakenly believed that a dog's sole reason for whether it's hypoallergenic or not depends on how much the dog sheds. This is only partially true though. See, when a dog licks itself, the protein in their saliva, which is the real cause of reaction in allergy sufferers, sticks to the dander. In high shedding dogs, the dander (with the saliva) is released into the environment more. With a lower shedding dog, it doesn't get released as much. With dogs such as wirehaired type terriers, older generations of "Doodles," Maltese, Yorkies, Poodles, Bichons, etc., they are believed to be hypoallergenic because they shed at a very low rate. As far as the "Doodles," how much one sheds depends on how many generations into the cross you are, meaning F1, F2, F3 and so on. Doodles are a mix of Labs and Poodles (and now Goldens and Poodles). The majority of early generation crosses shed because they haven't been bred long enough to pick up the full characteristics breeders were striving for - in other words, until a type of coat was set (the curly Poodle coat). See, these dogs were originally bred for the allergic blind to use as guide dogs. Both breeds are intelligent. Labs are used a lot as guide dogs. Poodles shed at a very low rate. It's believed by some that Labs don't put off as much of an allergen as other breeds, but still put off enough to cause an issue. This mix of breeds was the perfect solution for those who are blind and suffer allergies. Anyway, I hope you all get what I mean...I tried not to get too technical with this. As for Italian Greyhounds, they typically are not considered hypoallergenic dogs, as they shed a bit. Same goes with Lhasas. They may, however, be better for a person because they don't shed as much as other breeds though. Hope this helps.
smile.png
Actually, Italian Greyhounds were listed as one of the top 10 Hypoallergenic Dog Breeds on the first site that comes up when I Google searched Hypoallergenic Dogs. http://www.blog.thecozypet.com/2012/02/top-10-best-hypoallergenic-dog-breeds.html However, I would definitely say that allergens are personal, there is scientific evidence that "hypoallergenic" breeds have as much dander as non-hypoallergenic dogs. http://www.henryford.com/body.cfm?id=46335&action=detail&ref=1405
yes there are no such thing as hypoallergenic I posted this thread for dogs that are "good" for allergies:)

I have an Italian Greyhound, which are commonly considered among hypoallergenic breeds.
They shed very little, and don't require any grooming at all! SO convenient...clean, athletic, and adorable!

I also have an Italian greyhound! Best dog i have ever had. I have had a grey male, and I now have a tan female!​

Back
Top Bottom