Small Island, small flock, little idea what we're doing...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MontserratChick, Mar 31, 2015.

1. MontserratChick

MontserratChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello all,

We live on a small island in the caribbean and over recent weeks have raised several chicks we rescued. Some died, victims of rats (and one a hot water bottle), but some have survived. It's quite hard work because we have no resources at all, so we have to build everything from scratch, from hen coops to food and drink dispensers. These last are giving us some trouble as the chicks are big enough to kick everything over, and we don't want them going without water when the weather is so hot. Doesn't matter how many stones I put in the dishes, they all get filled up with dirt.

I'm in New York City for a break, and wondered if there were any pet stores that might sell poultry feeders or waterers. Have tried searching online but they all seem geared to just dogs.

BYC was a great resource when we first got the chicks and I learnt a lot, so thanks to the communitiy!

All the best,

Amy

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Hello Amy, nice to meet you. Are you able to get basic chicken feed in your home area? With a rat problem it is really better if you have a raised coop for them- it is very easy for rats to burrow up through a dirt floor. 1/2" hardware cloth - 1/4" would be even better) instead of any flimsy poultry wire, would be much safer for the chicks . But, I can't even imagine a big roll of that getting allowed on an airplane - cost would probably be prohibitive.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC, Amy! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Nice to meet you Amy!

Definitely look into the links provided above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by