Small processor in Central Ohio

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Uzuri, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Hope this is the right place to post this, but I figured you folks would be the ones to know.

I don't need to have any chickens made into dinner at the moment, but I'd like to plan for when I do. I don't expect to be able to kill them myself; I just have too few of them and am too familiar with their little quirks already; if I had a bunch, it'd be a different story.

So I need to find a local processor who will take a very small number at a time. I only have 7 chickens, so 7 would be the maximum number I could bring! And of course what's more likely is to need to get rid of a pair of bad layers or something.

So, central Ohio -- anyone here who butchers small numbers? I've had an Amish man do rabbits for us before, but it's such a royal pain to coordinate schedules with someone who doesn't have a phone so I'm trying to get away from that.

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I really dont know where in Ohio you live. But for the most part there is alot of Amish in Ohio. If you stop by a Amish house with a stand you can ask them if they know anyone who will do it. For me I live right in their neighborhood. Word of mouth is how we found the young lady that culled our Orp Roo's. She charged us $1.25 a bird. This is not true of all Amish some charged more money per bird. The price was so right that now I will do Color Rangers in late spring. At that price its worth it.
    We actually went and talked to them set up a time and dropped of the birds and they were ready in an hour.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by