Small-scale Egg Production

We wash all of our eggs and then refrigerate them.

It looks like I should also collect some information about the best practices in egg cleaning.

Does everyone that does wash their eggs wash by hand or do you use some kind of a device/machine?

Does everyone that does wash their eggs wash by hand or do you use some kind of a device/machine?

I hand wash, but there are some simple machines you can build to do it, state law might dictate a specific way to clean if you are a licensed egg seller...

We recently replaced our dishwasher (bad control board) and I'm considering making a new custom designed control board (or even just some toggle switches) for it and converting it to an egg cleaner, should work well once I disable the heating element and fill it with already tempered water...

We wash all of our eggs and then refrigerate them.

It looks like I should also collect some information about the best practices in egg cleaning.

I hand wash mine....but only the ones that are visibly 'dirty' ....which I then refrigerate to use myself.
All I sell are unwashed and unrefrigerated, but I only sell 3-5 dozen a week....
..and they are sold with in a few days of being laid.

I use my hands to mechanically 'scrub' entire surface of the egg under running water that is warmer than the egg temperature.
Using water 'warmer than the egg' is so the contents of the egg expand,
if you use 'colder than the egg' water, the contents contract which can pull 'dirt' inside the egg thru the pores.
No soap or any other solutions.
Air drain in dish rack, then completely dry with clean towel before refrigerating.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom