Small scale free ranging?

You are probably gonna think I'm a real ninny muggins, but is pine straw simply dropped pine needles from under pine trees?

Yes, though more specifically the longer needles of the southern loblollies, longleafs, etc.

Any old pine needles or old leaf litter would share the qualities that make it so great as a chicken enrichment material -- namely, dig-ability and bugs -- though I personally wouldn't want to have to handle spruce needles and would choose something else for my own sake.

We trained our birds to come when we clap our hands. When they come, we give them cracked corn. It works like a charm and they pick up on it pretty quickly. Now, if we see a hawk flying overhead, we clap our hands and they come running, usually right into their run/coop, excited for their corn! So you could try that if you decide to let them out. It has worked well for us and it gives us at least a little peace of mind that we're able to get them to safety quickly if need be.
Chickens amaze me with their intelligence. Even if it is food motivated! I myself have been known to come running for treats:lol:.

Yes, though more specifically the longer needles of the southern loblollies, longleafs, etc.

Any old pine needles or old leaf litter would share the qualities that make it so great as a chicken enrichment material -- namely, dig-ability and bugs -- though I personally wouldn't want to have to handle spruce needles and would choose something else for my own sake.
I better get to raking then! We have White Pine I believe. They are kinda long and softer?

The chickens will love them.

Wear gloves because you WANT the bugs to come with the load -- scrape down in to get the partially-rotted ones instead of just taking the dry layer on top.
Ahhhh....gotcha! I raked all the top and the girls were not super impressed! I will get deeper into the creepy crawlies! Slimy yet satisfying and the cream filled goodies!

Hi @Who Rules The Roost
I’m free ranging and have a small flock. During the day they can go where they like to go.
During the night they get locked inside. My fences are natural (river=safish and creek (not so safe because of the road on the other side.) I can make myself go crazy over it but they hardly ever go to they road since the river is tempting too.. So for now I let it go. I rather like them to have a good life than restricting them without meaning. Probably I’m installing sheep fencing on the other side of the creek later this year since I have still some doubts, don’t want to loose them 😏.

I do look for a solution when I’m on the road for work or leisure. maybe a big coop for those days I’m not there without automatic feeder and drink system 🤔.

the fencing which is waaaaay to expensive in my opinion 😬
https://www.gamma.nl/assortiment/schapenhek-frans-kastanje-100x500-cm/p/B215161
Hi @Who Rules The Roost
I’m free ranging and have a small flock. During the day they can go where they like to go.
During the night they get locked inside. My fences are natural (river=safish and creek (not so safe because of the road on the other side.) I can make myself go crazy over it but they hardly ever go to they road since the river is tempting too.. So for now I let it go. I rather like them to have a good life than restricting them without meaning. Probably I’m installing sheep fencing on the other side of the creek later this year since I have still some doubts, don’t want to loose them 😏.

I do look for a solution when I’m on the road for work or leisure. maybe a big coop for those days I’m not there without automatic feeder and drink system 🤔.

the fencing which is waaaaay to expensive in my opinion 😬
https://www.gamma.nl/assortiment/schapenhek-frans-kastanje-100x500-cm/p/B215161
I like that fencing, but I agree with you, it is pricey. I saw this on Amazon when I was searching for temporary fencing. It's not as nice as what you picked out but for easily movable fencing I was thinking it looked like it would work. I'm gonna try to post the link and you can tell me what you think? I'm not good at this. I hope it works!
https://www.amazon.com/TEMPORARY-FE...eywords=Chicken+Fencing&qid=1592425155&sr=8-6

Back
Top Bottom