Small, weak duckling

erkieka

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
I just got a few ducklings two days ago and they look to be about a week old. One of them is really small and wobbly on his feet. He follows the others around and insists on curling up to them. He seems to get enough food and water but something tells me there's something wrong. Also, when I first got him I noticed his eyes were kind of squinty. This morning the one was closed completely so I took a warm washcloth to it even though there didn't appear to be any gunk. After using the washcloth his eye still wouldn't open. Does anyone know what might be the cause of this?

I just got a few ducklings two days ago and they look to be about a week old. One of them is really small and wobbly on his feet. He follows the others around and insists on curling up to them. He seems to get enough food and water but something tells me there's something wrong. Also, when I first got him I noticed his eyes were kind of squinty. This morning the one was closed completely so I took a warm washcloth to it even though there didn't appear to be any gunk. After using the washcloth his eye still wouldn't open. Does anyone know what might be the cause of this?
welcome-byc.gif
I'm wondering if some extra vitamins may help your little one get going in the right direction, soemtimes it can give them the boost they need, what are you feeding them? make sure it is actually eating when it goes to the food bowl and the others aren't picking on it till it gets it's legs under it better. TSC carries poultry vitamins one brand is Poultry Nutri Drench and can be given directly i nto the mouth too, always go by directions and will benefit your other ducklings. Never try to force food or liquid down your ducklings throat put the drops at front of mouth and in drinking water. Please keep us updated.

I would also consider some Vetericyn spray or saline drops for the eye. What do you think, Miss Lydia?

Definitely some gro-gel or sav-a-chick, or at least poultry multi vitamins.

I know he's been drinking and eating and I will try the saline solution on his eye. I've also been giving him vitamins and I think it is the Nutri-Drench. But I think I may have discovered the problem. I didn't notice this yesterday but he looks clogged.

The feathers around that area are twisted and hard. I tried a washcloth and that didn't help much. Any other suggestions?

I would try a little warmed coconut or olive oil on the vent. He may have gotten dehydrated. In which case it is vital for him to get water - I would say with just a little electrolyte, like even a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar per pint of lukewarm drinking water. See if you can get him to drink more.

Maybe he could have a little soak in warm - 85 degree F - water, watch him closely, but I am hoping he might splash and drink more.

Unfortunately, he didn't make it through the night. I think I was just too late. I appreciate everyone's help though, I'm sure the knowledge I obtained here will help in the future. The good thing is that I still have 6 happy and health ducklings plus 4 chicks.

Unfortunately, he didn't make it through the night. I think I was just too late. I appreciate everyone's help though, I'm sure the knowledge I obtained here will help in the future. The good thing is that I still have 6 happy and health ducklings plus 4 chicks.
Aww I'm sorry to hear this...
hugs.gif
your right though we learn so much and happy to hear the rest are healthy and happy, pics of all when you can please.

Back
Top Bottom