Small wire for runs + snow???

So anyone want to it from me? It's like new--perfect condition....white & light weight 5/ 16" of an inch holes....best suited for climates with no snow (or less than we have). I've decided to do 1" wire on mine instead and hope for the best...I must have had 50 sparrows in there before though....ARRGHHH!

I ran out of birdshot.

RFF, I loved the wintery pics! Do you know if the sparrows can get through the 1" welded wire? Does anyone out there have experience with this? The reason I ask is that I built my coop and run with 1"X 2" and imagine my dismay, upon finishing the run, when the sparrows moved through it like it wasn't even there. Maybe the 2" dimension allows them to pass on mine, but I wonder. They also move straight through the poultry (chicken) wire of my chicken tractor and those openings are just slightly larger than 1". It might not be a problem, your sparrows might be larger since you're farther north. I feel your anguish over the little brutes though. I had a problem with them too. Good luck!

Last edited:
Quote:
The easiest test, specific to your local sparrows, would be to put out a plate of birdseed (or chicken feed) where the sparrows can find it. Do that for a few days til they clue in that it's a birdfeeder. Then make a cylinder of 1x1 wire, with plywood or whatever to close off the top, and put that over the dish of seed, and see if they can still get in to eat it. There ya go
smile.png

Pat

Quote:
Wow--that's a serious run!
smile.png

We'd have to have some very strong roofs due to our snow load....hubby thinks over $1,000 to add roofs to all of my runs. It not only would make them more sparrow-resistant but drier in the rainy/snowy months and provide some shade when we're 100+ degrees.

It's something I'm definitely saving up for, though!

Quote:
They don't seem to be able to fit through 1" wire, only the 2". Once they get into a specific coop because I use 1" between the areas to prevent the roos from grabbing each other, the birds are stuck in that specific coop.

Of course, me never wanting to take a chance, bought the 5/ 16" openings because the birds MIGHT be able to squeeze through 1" wire if they weren't panicked and trying to get through in a hurry. They slam into my windows, vents, walls when I come into the coop, trying to escape. I did notice though that the coops with the canvas over the pop holes--no sparrows most of the time. It seems that they avoid those doors. So I guess I can hang another four of those...I just don't like that it's cutting down on my ventilation a little bit doing that--although I usually end up blocking the doors with cardboard for a few weeks out of the year (when the wind is howling & ripping through the coop!)

These are "house sparrows," not even a native U.S. species....

Quote:
The easiest test, specific to your local sparrows, would be to put out a plate of birdseed (or chicken feed) where the sparrows can find it. Do that for a few days til they clue in that it's a birdfeeder. Then make a cylinder of 1x1 wire, with plywood or whatever to close off the top, and put that over the dish of seed, and see if they can still get in to eat it. There ya go
smile.png

Pat

Thanks! That's a good idea! I just have watched them....I even tried one of those fake owls....I put it where the chickens couldn't see it and within two days, the sparrows were back. The other day, I moved it and found BIRD POOP ON IT. Sighs.

You can do one run at a time, and sometimes the hardware store or a discount place will have panels with little scrapes or scratches and will sell for a huge mark-down.
cool.png

And if you have any commercial greenhouses nearby, they often rearrange their polycarbonate panels or replace with new ones- they come in various sizes and can be used as roofing or as vertical wind/snow/rain panels.

Last edited:
In the mean time u might consider attaching the birdnetting to ur roof on one side to provide a slant for the snow to slide off. If ur really worried u could use a broom or whatever to help it down the slope when u go out to check on ur birds. That would get u thru this year.

Back
Top Bottom