small worms in the fresh chicken poop. Ick!

no advice to give I'm afraid, just wanted to ask a question as I will be getting my first chickens in May. Is it advisable to use a wormer on chickens as a precaution rather than a cure maybe a couple of times a year?, also if you use a wormer can you still eat the eggs they produce after the dosing?, and finally....if they have worms, is it advisable not to eat the eggs, can they transmit to humans that way....sorry for being such a newbie but I'm trying to glean as much info as I can before I get my chooks
smile.png

no advice to give I'm afraid, just wanted to ask a question as I will be getting my first chickens in May. Is it advisable to use a wormer on chickens as a precaution rather than a cure maybe a couple of times a year?, also if you use a wormer can you still eat the eggs they produce after the dosing?, and finally....if they have worms, is it advisable not to eat the eggs, can they transmit to humans that way....sorry for being such a newbie but I'm trying to glean as much info as I can before I get my chooks
smile.png

When and how often you worm depends on your soil conditions. Warm moist or wet soil may require frequent wormings. Cool/cold soil or rocky mountainous soil or hot desertlike soil may only require worming once a year. Normally there's a 14 day withdrawal period after the last dose of wormer. If birds have worms, they usually slow or stop eating/drinking/laying eggs, they become lethargic. Worms eventually starve a bird to death. Poultry worms are host specific. Humans get their own types of worms. It is possible that a worm can make its way into an egg though. If you're getting older chickens and not chicks, make sure you find out if they've been wormed, have had any respiratory problems, and inspected for external parasires (lice/mites.)

You must use Valbazen. You can purchase it online from jeffers livestock. It will kill tapeworms, roundworms and a host of other worms. Dosage is as follows: One half cc (one half ml) given to standard size chickens. One quarter cc (one quarter ml) for small chickens. I recommend putting it on a small piece of bread (it's liquid) and giving each piece of bread to each chicken one at a time.
How long do you administer this?

Back
Top Bottom