Smaller and smaller eggs - what could be wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vermontgal, Apr 3, 2009.

1. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

My production red laid almost only XL eggs about a month ago. Her eggs have slowly been getting smaller. In the last 2 weeks she was laying Large eggs. In the past couple days, she is just barely into size L. In the egg diary, I record this as L-. (Large minus). She is 9 months old, and she has been laying for about 3 months. Her eggs are now the same size, or smaller, than her eggs were when she first started laying.

I am wondering if there might be something wrong with her that I should be noticing? She seems healthy, alert. She is slight in body compared to the other chickens, but I do not think this is a change. Any ideas? Things to check?

Here she is a couple weeks ago:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  2. dani2

dani2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    Some of my chickens in the very early stages of laying will lay large double yoke eggs but after a while they just kind of average out not sure if this is why your hen is doing it but usually in the beginning they are very large or very small.

3. vermontgal

I have never had a double yolk egg from her (nor from anyone else!) Her first eggs were just over size large (2 oz), about the size she is laying now, or a little bigger. Within the first month, they ramped up to size XL, or L+. I did not have an eggs scale for her first 2-3 weeks of laying. Now she is at L- and this is definitely a change.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  4. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    She might be regulating and getting into a groove finally? If she appears healthy other wise, I wouldn't worry.

5. vermontgal

I guess I am worried because my EE (who died suddenly 3 weeks ago) started laying smaller eggs right before she died. She didn't appear sick until I found her keeled over dead.

I sort of think she had something wrong with her, genetically, because she tended to have liquidy poops compared to the other girls. (As a chick, she was known as Juicy Poops until she got her adult name.) In the past 3 weeks since she died, the coop seems markedly drier and less poopy.

Anyhow, because of my experience with Liona dying, I am probably extra inclined to worry about the change in Sarah's egg size.

6. realmofthewoodsranch

realmofthewoodsranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Palintowne, Alaska
    Check for worms, that's a common cause of liquid poo, and if one chicken had worms, the others might, too.

7. vermontgal

Thanks for the suggestion on worms as a possibility. I've never seen any sign of worms, and Liona had liquidy-poops for her whole life (7 months). I think it was a problem with her liver/kidneys. The other girls's poops are completely fine and normally solid. I did just give the chickens some pumpkin seeds as a low-key precaution/maintenance.

I should find out my options for a fecal test, though. I know any vet can do it - it's a question of how many arms and legs they want for it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  8. realmofthewoodsranch

realmofthewoodsranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Palintowne, Alaska
    Hopefully it won't cost any legs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by