1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Smaller eggs common in winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by afj6710, Jan 14, 2012.

1. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Looking through old threads, it seems several people have experienced smaller eggs in the winter. I saw several people suggesting molting - there is no way that my girls would molt in this cold weather, would they?

Our eggs have gone from med-large to TINY. At first, it was just a few a week but now atleast half of our eggs are noticeably smaller. Any advice on helping my girls out? Seems like it would be due to less protein or something, right?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It is pretty normal. We often experience this in super cold weather. It seems difficult for the hens to consume all the energy they need to keep themselves warm while having enough to produce large eggs as well. Lighting is poor, nights are long and don't forget that cold makes everything "pucker up". [​IMG]

Old timers used to pour some warm milk from the dairy barn over the mash, in the morning, to get the birds to devour some feed and get 'em going.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by