Smallest silkie boy or girl??

kfisher123

Songster
12 Years
Jun 11, 2011
Verona Wisconsin
We have 5 6-week old silkie chicks, one of them is smaller, tamer and more curious than all the others so naturally he/she is our favorite but we're nervous that he/she might end up being a roo and we'll have to get rid of him/her. Is the difference between him/her and the others a sign of what sex he/she will be? I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this!
smile.png

I have the teaniest tiny silkie myself and am not sure what he/she is either, I am SO hoping mine is a girl. Just never really grew much and it is as cute as a button....it is hard to tell silkies sex for quite a while, at least for me it is

Ok, I was told today when we got our first silkie that you can tell by looking at the wings. Spread out their wing and if the flight feathers are longer than the others then it is a roo, if they are the same size then it is a female. Not sure how accurate that is, I am hopeing so because they told me mine was a female by doing that!! Hope that helps some!!

So CUTE!! Love the hair do!!

Wing feather sexing is not accurate with silkies. It also has to be done as a day old (in breeds bred for it). The only way to tell with a silkie for sure is if it crows or lay an egg. That chick is way too young. MOst breeders tan take pretty accurate guesses at around 3-6 months. I would let the cutie grow up and post it it 3+ months on here! Good luck it is cute!

Thanks everyone....Looks like we just have to be patient and enjoy this time with all of them before we may have to send them to a local farm that will take a rooster or two. Hopefully, at least a couple will be hens!

Awh it is so cute. My baby chick is like that and it is the smallest one, we son't know if its a roo or a hen. Hoping its a hen, cuz we will have to sell it if its not.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom