smart little ducklets

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Sep 7, 2010.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I moved their kennel onto the deck in the deck pen yesterday. They are 5 weeks old, but I'm not comfortable putting them in a pen and house in the yard yet (so neither have been built yet).
    Today I left the kennel open and was going to head out and put a towel in there and move the food and water in and put them in for the night. DH happened to look out the window before I went out and they already put themselves to bed. Smart little buggers. Now to teach them how to close the door after themselves LOL

They are quick learners - sometimes. Trip 1 down the stairs was funny, for us, not them. This is a video of trip 2 down the stairs on their own into the yard yesterday - much better for them.
    [​IMG]

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Steps are hard on young ducks. I did put 4"x4"x4' wooden logs in between and it helped them a lot. Eventually they don't need it anymore, but it is good to have them when they are so young. You can also put a long board up as a ramp and fix it with an L bracket and a few screws.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  3. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Oh so cute!!

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    They have totally mastered up the steps and I'm sure in the next day or two, they'll have down mastered as well.

5. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Cute! [​IMG]
    hehe luv watching the ducks' missions to simply get from one spot in the yard to another, over all the obstacles

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by