Smart raccoon avoiding capture

Haha all right I’m situated in Tennessee we don’t get boars here.And I’m certain it is a coon(or even multiple ones)because I’ve seen it’s prints if you want to see the prints let me know!
Boar is referring to a male coon. Wire your bait securely inside the trap. Sounds like your trap doesn't have a floor. Maybe screw a piece of plywood to it for a floor, or stake it to the ground.

We think the coon is triggering the trap shut without going in and then digging underneath to get the bowl of food I place under the back of the trap,I keep putting heavy things on the trap like shavings bails and even a cinderblock to keep them from moving it but no luck so far.I had an idea though about making a square “treat ball” filled with dog food made with hardware cloth and using metal wire to either hang it up or attach it to the back of the trap? I wouldn’t attach any kind of meat as bait around here because the fire ants get attracted to it and kill the trapped animal hard to clear out the trap when ants are biting you as well!

Ziptie a plastic jar to the back of the trap and put your bait in there. That way he'll have to go all the way in to get it. That's what we do now and catch them every time.

Haha all right I’m situated in Tennessee we don’t get boars here.And I’m certain it is a coon(or even multiple ones)because I’ve seen it’s prints if you want to see the prints let me know!
Sorry, I meant a big boar raccoon. Isn't that what the males are called?

Secure the marshmallows on a piece of wire that's affixed to the back of the havahart, or drill a sardine can and loop wire through it and stick it in the havahart. That eliminates the dine and dash possibility.

If bait keeps disappearing your havahart could be too small. Some coons are the size a good-size small dog.

Also, many states deem relocation illegal. First, it spreads rabies. Second, it just transfers the problem to another property owner at best, because if you do have to set it free near you, it'll probably come back.

The choice here is trying to do that anyway or with the goal of a humane dispatch/elimination. The fastest way to accomplish this is with a Duke's Dog Proof Coon Trap and good pellet technology, or at least one of them.

Coons do really love marshmallows! Can also use small can dog or cat food, but feed most of it to your pet, then leave some in the can for the coon bait.

we’ve been successful with hav-a- heart traps, but need to secure the bait (good suggestions above). Need a good sturdy large cage. We use garden stakes (preferable the ones with flat sides if not already used in the garden), to keep the trap from getting rolled about by trapped coon, and a rock/block/brick on top.

we are MOST successful using a Z-trap. But, you will have to dispatch the coon once caught. This is a trap the a coon will stick his hand in to get the bait (we use mini marshmallows) but springs the trap which grabs his hand/wrist.

Coons do really love marshmallows! Can also use small can dog or cat food, but feed most of it to your pet, then leave some in the can for the coon bait.

we’ve been successful with hav-a- heart traps, but need to secure the bait (good suggestions above). Need a good sturdy large cage. We use garden stakes (preferable the ones with flat sides if not already used in the garden), to keep the trap from getting rolled about by trapped coon, and a rock/block/brick on top.

we are MOST successful using a Z-trap. But, you will have to dispatch the coon once caught. This is a trap the a coon will stick his hand in to get the bait (we use mini marshmallows) but springs the trap which grabs his hand/wrist.
Sounds exactly like a Duke's Dog Proof.

It sounds like the havahart may well be too small, and if that can't be remediated and Duke's type traps are legal, then that is the way to go to capture the animal to apply pellet or lead therapy. If you know it is a specific animal (we do), this solution will often get rid of the problem for the months that you can use to remediate the coop.

If OP wants to save this animal, OK. But she has to do so with the full understanding that that's exactly like releasing a rat out of a live trap on your property and assume the rat will create no more issues.

I have had a couple of the store bought traps destroyed from the inside by, I'm sure, big coons. Dad gave me a homemade trap. Built on the same principle but a lot stronger material. That worked for a while but it was eventually torn up too. Using dog proof traps now. Dukes is the brand I use but there are others.
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but re-homing wild animals is frowned upon in most states and illegal in a lot of states. Though wildlife officers ( Here i Texas it is TPWD) will usully come to your house, pick up said animal and Do with it as prescribed by department policies. Often re-homing.

Back
Top Bottom