Smashed thumb experiences?

I slammed a car door on my thumb. It broke the tip of my thumb and it had a permanent indention in the thumb so the Dr. did drill a hole in the thumb. It didn't hurt when he done it in fact it helped with the pain. The nail didn't fall off, it just grew out normal and looks normal. I did have to wear a brace on my thumb for a few weeks. When the weather is changing I am reminded of the break but that's all.

jackie

I've lost several, they all grew back normally. It's a long process, though.

Yours doesn't look that bad. I bet you won't lose the whole thing, it'll just grow out for a few weeks and then the black part will separate and come off.

I seem to be rather accident prone lately, here's a pic of today's mishap so you don't feel alone:

IMG_0241.jpg

When I was younger I caught my little finger in the sliding door of a minivan. It sucked. I was in the van by myself, because I wanted to leave earlier than everyone else. I was probably about 10. It sliced the whole inside of my right pinky finger. The worst thing was that it "caught" my finger, which means I was stuck in the van screaming and crying until someone came out of the house and realized I was stuck in the car.

hit.gif

-Kim

Lost my Right thumb nail to a 1500 lb air press, my nail was grommetted into a metal sleeve, my thumb looked like ground beef, broke the tip off of the bone in my thumb and ended up having reconstructive surgery, The dr repaired the nail bed and eventually a new nail did grow back, looks a little funny but better than no thumb.

My oldest son who was about 5 at the time got his thumb smashed/split open by a hydrolic car jack! Split right down the center of his thumb! OUCH! Poor thing! He cried for HOURS! I don't blame him. It was horrible! And a year before that he got that same finger slammed in the car door and the nail came out at the root. The root of it came through (about 1/4 -1/2) below the nail through the skin! Never know the root of a nail was that long! UGH! I ran him to the emergency room and they had to cut the sides of the skin to get the nail off. OH I bet that hurt! This poor kid went through a lot with that finger! Now he's 17 and he still has his thumb! Lol

You may have a ridge on your nail that will grow out because of the injury.

and now to me....building my coop has been hard on my thumbs. First I grabbed ahold on a drill bit not thinking it was still hot from just being used, blister on right thumb. Then after removing a screw that was stripped, you guess it, I grabbed it and it burned a slice deep into, yep....right thumb. Then pounding a nai,l I missed and hit the meaty part of my left thumb and ripped it deep. Just the other day I got mad at a jog saw blade that broke and burned my left thumb which is healing from the rip. This coop is going to kill me yet.....
barnie.gif

I slammed my thumb in the car door when I was a kid. The nail went black and fell off a few days later. A couple of years after that I got a BOIL under that same nail and lost it again - that was the worst pain EVER... The nail now looks different than my other one, its changed shape a little (more square)

My husband hit his thumb at work once, he ended up having to drill a hole in it to drain it out. :eek: (he used a drill bit in his hand to make the hole - GROSS)

Last edited:
I mashed my thumb at the nail bed and it looks horrible. Half of it has come off and it is funny looking underneath. Not too sore but ugly. But, I did the other thumb twice before (says something, doesn't it?) and it looks normal now.
Good luck with the nail.

Back
Top Bottom