smells in the run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by furondrt, Jul 21, 2010.

1. furondrt

furondrt Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2010
    deland
    any good ideas on keeping the smell in the run down i rake it out everyday still smells thanx

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If your run is dirt, you can go the sand route. Many find that SO much easier to clean. You can also sprinkle DE in your run to help dry things out and reduce smells... How often you would need to sprinkle depends on how much smell is happening, and how often you get rain (because wet always smells worse than dry).

3. furondrt

furondrt Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2010
    deland
    my run is sand i live in florida so it rains alot

4. Xanthro

Xanthro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Quote:Is it possible to cover your run and protect it from rain?

Wet = stink.

5. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

mine stunk i used hardwood and pine bark mix, it soaks up the top layer and makes it smell wonderful, i live in virginia

6. Beaker's Mom

Beaker's Mom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2008
    Northern California
    I just did a thorough cleaning on coop and run yesterday. The run was dirt and pretty stinky. Added about 4" of sand and it's a HUGE difference! Will add another 2" when DH brings me more. Scooped out the piles of poop this morning and it took 2 minutes and I have 14 chickens. No smell at all now! Plus the sand is cool in the shade. Summer temps are in the 100's daily here. Went out this morning and everyone was nestled down in the sand. Very happy chickies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by