Smoked salmon trimmings!

calamitykate

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 13, 2012
Scotland
I have rather a lot of old (3 days out of date) smoked salmon left over from Christmas. Can I feed this to my flock safely? I've cooked and flaked the smoked salmon. Seems a pity to waste it.

Yes, you can. I routinely feed fish to birds. It is cooked only if presented as leftovers, otherwise it is raw or rotten. I have yet to see problems with bones despite consumption of some pretty big ones. Skin most nutritious part.

We fish... a lot....LOL... and we had brought home a mess of perch to clean when our flock was about 4 months old or so.
We set up our cleaning table outside and of course the flock wouldn't leave us alone... bunch of nosey beggars! I trimmed off a little bit of fish to give to our most persistent hen and she grabbed it and ran, with half the flock in hot pursuit! Talk about funny!!
lau.gif

Needless to say they quickly came back for more and we found they LOVE fish scraps. We kept the amount moderate since it was a new food for them, but now they get it on a weekly basis or so, sometimes cooked, sometimes raw... usually as one of their evening treats.

Mine loved the smoked salmon trimmings, I thought it would give me an upset tum, as smoked salmon does that to me even if its one day over due, so........
I try them on allsorts of things now and the only things they do not really like is onions and leeks. Everything else scoffed in seconds!

Back
Top Bottom