Smoking meat...need a smokehouse

pintail_drake2004

Songster
6 Years
Jun 12, 2017
IL
Hey yall, I smoke a lot of meat on my homestead. So far this year, I have smoked about 300# of sausage, and 50# bacon on top of the chickens/pulled pork/hamburgers/wings/etc I normally smoke. The wife wants me to build a smokehouse so I can make more sausage (honestly her words). I'm not complaining, and have the green light to get started. I was planning something like a 4'x3'x7' structure, concrete block foundation on concrete slab with cedar framing. The inside would be insulated with rockwool and covered with either aluminum or stainless steel sheet. Planning to do several racks of flat expanded metal, and an sliding rack at the top to hang sausage. Would like to make it dual fuel if possible (wood & propane). Does anyone have a smokehouse? Care to share some insight on what you wish you had done differently? How about some pictures.

pic for attention
Kielbasa
Kielbasa smoked 2020.jpg

buckboard bacon
bacon.jpg

I got one that runs on wood. It is all filled out here in my blog for you to read through. I want to turn the fire box into two vaulted ovens one on top of each other. Bottom for the smokehouse and top as an wood fired oven.
https://archeryrob.wordpress.com/category/smokehouse/

If you do a propane one, get a burner with a flame out sensor. Several people have died where it goes out and it fills with propane and explodes. Gas grills are designed with botom holes so propane leaks out if it flames out.

Attachments

• Smokehouse_snow.jpg
    Smokehouse_snow.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom