Smudge and Smidge

Arztwolf

Songster
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
SW Texas
On Thursday the "Most Annoying Hen on Earth" aka Sponge, managed to hatch a chick. Instead of, you know, mothering it, she decides to remain seated on the nest as the little grey lint ball makes it's way out of the coop and ends up in the mud. I hear the distinctive sound of a very upset chick and rush out to find Smudge. I attempt to give it back to her and she gives it a WTH? look and pecks it.
he.gif
So I take it inside and put it in the brooder.

Fast forward to this morning and I AGAIN hear peeping. This time the baby has managed to get itself stuck between Sponge's wing and her body. She is ignoring it as it cheeps it's head off. I rescue this one and add it to the brooder with Smudge. Being creative, I name it Smidge. They both look a like.

Sponge has shown no sign that she misses the chicks. She hasn't looked for them nor has she stopped sitting on the nest. Yeah, guess who gets to live in a rooster free coop from now on.

Tomorrow I'm going to go pick up two more chicks (Buff Orpingtons) just to be on the safe side. Twenty four hours worth of playing Mother Hen to a single, lonely chick, got old quickly. Cheep, cheep, cheep, cheep, cheep and it only got louder if I left the room! I could hear the barely 2oz ball of lint across the house!

Sponge is a grey Silkie and the dad is a Barred Rock.

Awwwww, they're precious. I hear you, the cheeping can drive you a bit nuts, that's for sure! They do like to have friends, don't they? Thanks for sharing. Oh, and I love their names too. So cute!

Last edited:
If Smidge hadn't been hatched I'd be doing this
hit.gif
right now. Oh, I discovered a third egg under Mama, not sure how long that has been there.

I did buy three Buff Orpingtons who are in culture shock right now. From an unheated barn with a small heat lamp to a well heated room in under two hours. Their little heads are still spinning! I'm calling them Meep, Peep, and Cheep till they start to get personalities.

The next time I need to name an animal, I'm asking you for ideas...you have some good ones for your birds!

Glad you were able to get some little buddies for your solo chick and they do super for you!

The next time I need to name an animal, I'm asking you for ideas...you have some good ones for your birds!

Glad you were able to get some little buddies for your solo chick and they do super for you!

Thanks!
smile.png

My flock also contains a Butter (pronounced Budder), Potato (due to having the IQ of one), Domino the Dominique, Eggplant, Squash and Eek the Favorelles and Ratchet the Polish.

Thanks!
smile.png

My flock also contains a Butter (pronounced Budder), Potato (due to having the IQ of one), Domino the Dominique, Eggplant, Squash and Eek the Favorelles and Ratchet the Polish.

Excellent, lol!

Back
Top Bottom