SMZ TMP

Denise W

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2022
Can anyone tell me the danger of eating eggs from a hen who is on SMZ TMP? I have 27 chickens and it's impossible to moniter her all day until, if, she eventually lays an egg so I can discard it. Vet says not to eat her egg for two weeks. Difficult task.

Follow your vet's recommendation.

The withdrawal period is to help avoid residual effects that may be in meat/eggs.

I'm not sure if anyone could tell you what the danger of your eating the eggs would be, it would be dependent on many factors like residues, allergies, etc. If allergic to the medication, then it's possible you could have a severe reaction, but again...I don't think anyone could tell you for sure.

Do some research/reading about the drug, there's plenty that can be found online.

I would be concerned about upyou or someone in your family being allergic to sulfonamide antibiotics. These were drugs used more in past decades, such as gantricin, and some were very allergic. Bactrim is a common one used today, and that is what SMZ-TMP is. Also eating small amounts of sulfa in the eggs, could possibly lead to bacterial resistance. It is really up to you whether you follow that advice or not.

Follow your vet's recommendation.

The withdrawal period is to help avoid residual effects that may be in meat/eggs.

I'm not sure if anyone could tell you what the danger of your eating the eggs would be, it would be dependent on many factors like residues, allergies, etc. If allergic to the medication, then it's possible you could have a severe reaction, but again...I don't think anyone could tell you for sure.

Do some research/reading about the drug, there's plenty that can be found online.
Thank you for the information. Been trying to do some research online but it's pretty limited. Sadly, many eggs will have to be sacrificed.

Can you place the hen inside a dog crate in the run each day with her medicated water and food? She will lay her eggs in there. You can place a nest and cover part of the crate for a little privacy. You do not want to give the medicine to the whole flock, nor throw away all of the flock’s eggs.

Can you place the hen inside a dog crate in the run each day with her medicated water and food? She will lay her eggs in there. You can place a nest and cover part of the crate for a little privacy. You do not want to give the medicine to the whole flock, nor throw away all of the flock’s eggs.
Boy, I tried separating her in a crate in the coop. That lasted one night, as she was absolutely miserable, which made everyone miserable! No easy solution here, but I appreciate the replies and support.

Was the crate in with the other chickens? Mine might freak out for a half hour or so, but will usually settle down if they are stuck in there. If necessary borrow a larger crate. She only needs to be in the crate during daylight hours. She can roost with the others at night.

Back
Top Bottom