snake bite help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fowlweatherfriends, Aug 10, 2007.

  1. fowlweatherfriends

    fowlweatherfriends Songster

    Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Just found a snake wrapped around my very young silkie. Took care of the snake and the Silkie is alive and upright-a bit shaken but not too noticeably suffering or traumatized. After an exam I found it is bleeding a small bit on its thigh. I am going to clean it with alcohol. What else can I do?
    The snakes head was larger than the body and I am going to suspect it may have been a juvenile poisonous snake. I don't have a way to take a pic.

    My question would be, is there anything else I can do for it? If it was poisonous, will the silkie die? I would say the silkie is about 6 to 7 weeks old. The ibte left enough blood for two cottonballs to be bloodied when cleaning.
  2. fowlweatherfriends

    fowlweatherfriends Songster

    Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Thank you egh,
    I didn't think about the neosporin. I looked at the snake list and can't find it. I know for a fact we have cottonmouths here, but this was definitely not a cottonmouth. It has stripes and is about 18 to 20 inches long, and would overfill two hands.

    The silkie is shaking right now. Don't know if it is due to shock or from the bite. I guess there's not a lot one could do if it was poisonous. I lost my first set of silkies to a dog attack, and this baby was long waited for. I only got 2 black silkies out of my last batch, and now I may lose one. [​IMG]
  3. peepsnbunnies

    peepsnbunnies Songster

    Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Can you give a better description of the snake? Color, do the stripes run the lengthwise or across the back?
  4. Bubba

    Bubba Songster

    Jun 18, 2007
    It most likely was NOT poisonous. Poisonous snakes bite, release then let their prey take off and die very shortly there after.(They then track it).

    Non-poisonous snake must CRUSH their prey to death, much like an anaconda (You have seen the movies).

    If it was a poisonous snake and it gave a bite (Not dry bite) your bird would have died very quickly. If the bird is still alive after 12 hours, I would say homefree.

  5. rooster-red

    rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

    Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I agree, if it were poisinous your chicken would have died within an hour.

    The snake probably just bit to get hold of the chicken.
  6. johnc

    johnc Hatching

    Jul 14, 2007
    Just read the sequence of posts concerning the snake bite on your silkie. Is your silkie okay?

  7. AtRendeAcres

    AtRendeAcres Songster

    May 23, 2007
    Clarion County


    is she o.k. today???
  8. SpottedCrow

    SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

    Most times a poisonous snake will do all sorts of things to NOT bite...It was more likely to slither off...
    A NON poisonous snake was probably hungry, and if it was a venomous snake, your silkie would have died by now.
    It could be in shock.
    Even non-venomous snakes can bite and bite hard. I was once bitten and attempted to be eaten by a snake at work...I don't know what grump would have done once she got past my knuckle...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: