Snake bite on Pekin

Mama Runner

Songster
Jun 6, 2017
Warren County Kentucky
We have had an awful time with snakes this year. So I have two questions.

My Pekin got bit yesterday, it was a non venomous king snake yesterday. I cleaned it well with baby shampoo and put triple antibiotic ointment wrapped it with a four by four. After I killed the snake.
Am I treating this right?

My second question is.....
This is the 12th snake I have killed up around the house this year. We moved back to my home County in Kentucky in January from Chicago. The house and land we bought have not been taken care of for about 10 years. I have battled all sorts of critters. But I am very very very worried about my babies.

I have six runners two Pekin two turkeys that are all about 12 weeks. I also have 4 wild turkeys, that I am not sure how old they are. They were rescued off the side of the road after someone hit their Mom.
Everyone is cooped up at night and have free run of the cut grass till bedtime.
How can I protect them from the snakes? We kill the snakes in the cut grass on sight. Is there a safe product that I can use to keep the snakes in woods or field? I am so upset it got one of my Pekin

Years ago someone said to use poultry wire rolled out and twisted, kinda like a slinky toy, around perimeter of coop and run. They said snakes would try to crawl straight through it and get caught up. They would die there or other predators would eat them off.:sick:oops:

We have had an awful time with snakes this year. So I have two questions.

My Pekin got bit yesterday, it was a non venomous king snake yesterday. I cleaned it well with baby shampoo and put triple antibiotic ointment wrapped it with a four by four. After I killed the snake.
Am I treating this right?

My second question is.....
This is the 12th snake I have killed up around the house this year. We moved back to my home County in Kentucky in January from Chicago. The house and land we bought have not been taken care of for about 10 years. I have battled all sorts of critters. But I am very very very worried about my babies.

I have six runners two Pekin two turkeys that are all about 12 weeks. I also have 4 wild turkeys, that I am not sure how old they are. They were rescued off the side of the road after someone hit their Mom.
Everyone is cooped up at night and have free run of the cut grass till bedtime.
How can I protect them from the snakes? We kill the snakes in the cut grass on sight. Is there a safe product that I can use to keep the snakes in woods or field? I am so upset it got one of my Pekin

Hi you could take a glass mason jar and with a glass cutter create holes throughout the glass then fill it up with mothballs to prevent snakes and keep your animals from eating the mothballs.also change the mothballs every 2 months so there more effective

Back
Top Bottom