Snake bites, puppies and a grumpy old dog.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickengal505, May 15, 2011.

1. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    So I'm sitting here on BYC and I hear one of my 10 new puppies scawl, do I run outside and begin the seach for the injured puppy. All I find is 6-7 black fuzz balls under the AC unit under my window. After I put them away, I'm walking back to the house and see mama dog (Molly). She got her nose in the mouth of a copper head or something and she looks like the target dog, she's a choco. lab. I'm quite used to snake bites in dogs, as my jack russel terrier mix is a snake dog, she normaly kills all of the snake around my house, so of course she gets bitten. Her record is 13 times in one summer, so normaly she gets bitten about 5-6 times a year, but ether she has gotten more sneaky or it just doenst affect her anymore. Anyway, the pups are being weaned but are not totally off of mama's milk. Can she still nurse them or will the venom affect her milk as well?
    -Holly

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    she should be ok. My dad always gave the dogs milk when they got bit. He would also make a paste of allum powder to put on the wound.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How is she today? My experience with copperhead bites is that they cause significant swelling and eventual tissue sloughing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by