SNAKE DETERENTS

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SportTees, Aug 27, 2008.

1. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

What keeps snake away? I've heard if you put golf balls around they will try to eat them and get choked. I've heard guineas, donkeys, goats keep them away. Correct me if I'm wrong and let me know What else keeps them away!

2. Peaguy

Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    I've heard moth balls work but I truly cannot handle the smell of them I gag everytime I even walk past them in a store.
    I had to laugh last night after our"little issue" with the rattlesnake, as I was turning out lights and headed to bed I noticed roomie had put the old straw broom by the front door that the dogs tend to go in and out of all night long
    Old Wive's tale... straw brooms will keep a snake from entering a door.... I just quietly laughed inside and went on to bed. What else was I to do? [​IMG]

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Powdered suflur, they loathe the scent and it alters the pH of their skin making it acidic- must be kept away from your chickens.

4. wishin4chicken

wishin4chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Hayden Lake, Idaho
    We have most every predator you can think of...except snakes. I can deal with all the others. I can't stand snakes! [​IMG]

Michele

5. SportTees

Quote:Me neither! Thanks for the info everybody!

6. SportTees

Has anyone ever heard to peeing on the cage to keep snake away? Sounds funny to me but thought I would ask...

7. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:I use the Sulfur and it works. I do not have a problem with my chickens messing with it either. I put it outside the coop and inside all around the bottom. My coop has a dirt floor.

8. SportTees

Where do you get sulfur?

9. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Some homes in TN have mason jars filled with water through out their yards. My dad said that they do that to keep the snakes away. May be another wives tale though, but alot of yards have them in it.

10. silkie-mom

silkie-mom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    South central Virginia
    Where do you get the sulfur and will it hurt other animals like my dogs and other birds in the yard?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by