Snake got one of my babies :(

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by SunBaked, Aug 25, 2011.

1. SunBaked

SunBaked Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    So sad [​IMG]. I went outside to put my peachicks up for the night and there was a giant snake in their cage that ate one of the babies and was to fat to get back out. That or he was waiting to have seconds [​IMG]. The cage is 3 feet off the ground and the holes are only about an inch wide so I never thought a snake could get them. It was huge, like 5 feet long. The little peachicks are like 2 months old, I figured they'd be to big for a snake too. Thank goodness it wasn't a rattle snake.

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry about your loss. [​IMG] Was it a rat snake? Did you kill it?

3. SunBaked

SunBaked Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    It was a bull snake. Very pretty except for the big bump where my poor peachick was [​IMG]. I had my hubby drive it down the road where there is nothing but desert and let him go. The bull snakes eat small rattlesnakes so I never kill them. Scary though, they look so much like rattlesnakes I always get cold chills when I see them.

It was no fun trying to catch the other 5 peachicks in the dark with the snake in the cage [​IMG] I finally had to run get my hubby to help me.

4. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry that you lost one, but at least you still have the others.
    I also had a big bull snake eating chicks, but they were quail, turkey, and chicken. I caught it and drove 2 miles down the road and let it go because we too have prairie rattlers. Just couldnt kill it because they also eat mice, but it did have to move.
    I have 3 peachicks that a couple of months old (Purple pied male, purple blackshoulder pied, & spaulding pied). I want to get out into a coop and I am afraid to lose them.

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    You can use a round minnow trap with eggs in it for bait. Works great for trapping snakes. It helps to dig a little trench so the little holes on the ends are close to the ground.

6. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

The one I caught had its tail sticking out from between some paneling and insulation, in the wall. Just grabbed the tail and carefully pulled, had a stick in my other hand and a 5 gal bucket ready with its lid, and in it went. I had caught it before, but didnt haul it off far enough for it to never come back.
    I should have taken a picture of it. Posted pics my sister took of a big black snake in "Predators and Pests".

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=562143

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by