Snake On The Coop Window

dmorano

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 18, 2012
Do you think this little snake was trying to get in the coop to get the eggs, or the chickens? Or was it an innocent bystander hunting for something else?

Did you say "little" snake..........
ep.gif

It's a little hard to tell what kind it is, probably a rat snake. Many people are glad to have them around the coop because they eat a lot of mice and rats. It certainly does not look poisonous.

However they will eat eggs and young chicks. It's up to you but I tolerate them around unless I catch them eating eggs or chicks.

Your little snake is a corn snake. It may have smelled mice or corn and that's why it's on your coop. It is not venomous so you don't need to be scared of it. It will probably try to get away from you. It's too small to get a chick or a chicken although bigger chickens sometimes eat these little guys. I hope you let it go ... it will catch pests and insects around your coop. I doubt it's big enough to eat an egg but it might try!

Your little snake is a corn snake. It may have smelled mice or corn and that's why it's on your coop. It is not venomous so you don't need to be scared of it. It will probably try to get away from you. It's too small to get a chick or a chicken although bigger chickens sometimes eat these little guys. I hope you let it go ... it will catch pests and insects around your coop. I doubt it's big enough to eat an egg but it might try!
Agree with Phyrst that this is a corn snake. I used to have several as pets. Looks like it was sunning itself. It would be very useful in keeping mice and rats at bay. I don't think it would pose a problem with your adult hens, except to frighten them, but I do think it would take a chick.

Several years ago I found my llittle flock surrounding a gopher snake they had cornered in the field. Don't know who was more terrified, the hens or the snake. When I went to investigate, the snake saw a whole in the chicken circle and made his escape....they can really move. Hope you can all live peacefully.

Little?! Lol I would not wonder which it was after. It's hunting days would have been over. It looks like a copperhead, but they usually are fatter and shorter. Ewe!

Back
Top Bottom