SNAKE PROBLEM...BIG SNAKE PROBLEM!

Georgia Nana

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 13, 2011
Kathleen, Georgia
Our chicken coop is an old metal grain storage shed which although is large predator-proof, is not snake proof. As of today, we have relocated 8 black snakes and gray rat snakes from around the pen and in the coop!
The last straw came today when we were changing the hay in the nest boxes and replacing it with shavings. There were 3 gray rat snakes in the nest boxes, and two of them were burrowed under the hay, out of sight! One of my hens was even sitting in a snake-inhabited nest box!!
I am a firm believer in the beneficial qualities of non poisonous snakes and am willing to "live and let live", but my egg collection has decreased from 20-22 eggs daily to 14-16 eggs per day, and NOW I SEE WHY!!!
Is there a snake repellent that works...really works? I'd just like to put it around the perimeter of the pen and coop. I don't mind the snakes in the yard (DH feels differently!), but I don't want them eating my eggs!
HELP! WHAT CAN I DO?

Move the ones you find farther away, and there is no snake deterrent that works except for snake proofing your coop. If you have fencing, put another layer of something with small holes around the perimeter of the fence. It can be flimsy and cheap, but it will make it much less fun for a snake to get through and get into your coop. And thank you for respecting the snakes. :)

Thank you for taking the time to respond. We have black silt fencing surrounding the entire pen and coop, so there is nothing else we can do that we can afford. We switched our nest box bedding from hay to shavings, and are hoping that it will be less attractive for the slithery fellows. It just amazes me that the hens were content to sit and lay on top of a snake!
DH (who is DEATHLY afraid of ANY snakes!) picked one that was hiding under the hay up yesterday, so now guess who is the egg gatherer!
I was just hoping that the chicken community had discovered a product that would deter them!
Before I had chickens, the snakes were a welcome addition to the property, and still would be if they would just leave my eggs alone!

From the many discussions on here I have gathered that there is no repellent that works aside from killing them.

Moving them will only waste your time as they'll more than likely come back and even if they don't many more will just take their place. Small black snakes have even been known to kill chickens. There were some recent posts on this I do believe. Usually they strangle them and then leave them since they can't eat them. If you will not kill them, then the BEST thing you can do is snake proof your coop. Fill all gaps preferably with 1/4" hardware cloth. If you can not proof your current coop it might be worth finding a new coop. You can make a coop out of just about anything. A dog house, an old child's play house, pallets, scrap wood from a local habitat for humanity, craigs list, etc...I've seen a coop post made entirely out of free pallets/wood boxes on craigs list. Pretty nifty! Good luck!

If taken at least a few miles away, snakes will not come back. They do not have the "homing instinct" that mammals do ,and it would waste far too much energy to travel all the way back if they could. Reptiles are very different from mammals in their habits, and much easier to deal with/remove.

Our chicken coop is an old metal grain storage shed which although is large predator-proof, is not snake proof. As of today, we have relocated 8 black snakes and gray rat snakes from around the pen and in the coop!
The last straw came today when we were changing the hay in the nest boxes and replacing it with shavings. There were 3 gray rat snakes in the nest boxes, and two of them were burrowed under the hay, out of sight! One of my hens was even sitting in a snake-inhabited nest box!!
I am a firm believer in the beneficial qualities of non poisonous snakes and am willing to "live and let live", but my egg collection has decreased from 20-22 eggs daily to 14-16 eggs per day, and NOW I SEE WHY!!!
Is there a snake repellent that works...really works? I'd just like to put it around the perimeter of the pen and coop. I don't mind the snakes in the yard (DH feels differently!), but I don't want them eating my eggs!
HELP! WHAT CAN I DO?
Moth balls will repel snakes.

^^Don't waste your money, They will not. Snakes cannot "smell" in the traditional sense, so it is completely ineffective.

I have a Large pen, so mothballs would probably be ineffective, We had no snakes yesterday (crossed fingers), and are hoping that changing the next box material from hay to the denser shavings will make it less comfortable for them. My husband was delighted at the post that recommended killing them, so for the snakes' sakes, I hope that either they stay away or that I get to them first! Thank you all for your replies.

Back
Top Bottom