Snake time in the Garden

xcalibor67

Chirping
Apr 28, 2017
Was out checking on my veggies when i uncovered a snake....Normally if i see the snake 1st, im ok with them...its those lil sneaky peek-a-boos when your focused on the task at hand that get me...I never kill black snakes, but admit to killing a few others..Around SC, we have copperheads/cotton mouth. Can anyone ID this snake? and be careful out in your gardens.

Attachments

• IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG
    1,022.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    795.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0523.JPG
    IMG_0523.JPG
    804 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Pretty sure is a non venomous Eastern Brown snake. Ok Lazy gardener...im moving to where your at..lol. I guess next you will tell me you dont have fire ants either..Regardless, keep your eyes peeled fellow gardeners..

LG has a good suggestion.

I also don't know as I live in MA but I just Googled it like LG said and it popped right up.

Apparently there are like 36 species of snakes in SC but only 5 or 6 are venomous.

This page should help you.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/herps/snakes.html

And if you Google "snakes that live in South Carolina" there is a PDF chart with pictures of the 6 venomous species. I can't share as I'm on mobile and it's a PDF not a website.

But your snake doesn't look like any of them.

To me it looks like this guy.

http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/stodek.htm

And snakes eat rodents, etc. so if it was me, I would familiarize yourself with the venomous species and then leave any others alone unless they are going after your chickens or eggs, etc.

Whoops, just noticed your response.

Yeah, i think its a brown snake too

In my state we mostly have rattlesnakes but they're more in the western part and not in my part. And we don't have fire ants either lol

I normally dont kill snakes, Familiar with black snakes, as i just a week ago got one out of the coop, placed him freely down in the woods, lol but im sure he will return. Lived in SC all my life and you would think i would know all the snakes by now. We have rattlers, but most are up toward SC/NC line. As far as the fire ant thing..you both can kiss my tail..LOL.

Looks like a Brown Snake to me, too. We have lots of kinds of snakes around here, from pencil-sized Worm Snakes to 6-foot-long Rat Snakes. Knowing who you are looking at makes snake encounters less nerve wracking.

Pretty sure is a non venomous Eastern Brown snake. Ok Lazy gardener...im moving to where your at..lol. I guess next you will tell me you dont have fire ants either..Regardless, keep your eyes peeled fellow gardeners..

Um. we don't have fire ants yet. But, we have: black flies, midges, mosquitoes, deer flies, horse flies, moose flies, lots of ticks that carry lyme disease.

I love to see a snake in my yard. As a matter of fact, I'm apt to stop what I'm doing, and catch him, or chase him away from the lawn so the chickens or dog don't kill him, or the lawn mower chop him up. I remember one year that the garter snakes were so plentiful that I'd be working around the house, and get that sense that some one was watching me. I'd turn around and see several small garters that had crawled up inside the corner trim of the vinyl siding, and were peering out and watching me! Nosy little critters! They would also lie on top of my shrubby flowers in the flower garden. One time I counted 5 of them tangled up like spaghetti. I've been told that I was interrupting a romantic encounter. Since getting chickens, I miss my snakes. They are not as plentiful. I also relocate any toads or frogs to a safe place. My Dad used to take a box out and collect toads before mowing the lawn. One day he showed me his collection, and there were about 10 of various sizes in his box.

You're welcome to come live here in Maine. Only the tough survive! (blizzards and ice storms that have been known to take out power for days on end. Our personal record was 13 days! Insects galore, Weather this spring has been super cold and rainy.) We have 4 seasons: Mud, bug, tourist, and snow. If summer happens on a Saturday, we go on a picnic. Maine: Where all the men are good looking, all the women are strong, and all of the children are above average!

Back
Top Bottom