Snake!!!

rat snake max out at 3 pounds when they are 6 feet they can kill a chicken if they really wanted to because they are fragile with weak necks but never an adult domestic cat which could tire the snake out eventually and probably kill the snake if it is determined enough. Does not matter if they are constrictors or not they do not have the power of a large python.
duc.gif
tongue.gif

We use the 20 ounce water bottles after they have been emptied let them dry out we keep the lids and drill a very small hole in the bottom of the bottle, then fill them a quarter of the way with mothballs and hang them a few inches off the ground about every ten feet around our coops. We shake them once a week to increase the scent, We use the water bottles so has not to have the mothballs sitting around where any animal can get to them has mothballs will kill anything that ingests them, usually we only have to fill them once a year. We also buy the mothballs from our dollar store has it is cheaper than the bigger chains.

We have bushes in the front of our house and birds always build nests in them so I guess that draws the snakes. We put out mothballs all up under the bushes, but we killed about 5 snakes out in that area. They were baby snakes that we killed and we have seen a really big black snake, but we haven't been able to get it yet. This was before we had the ducks so we didn't have to worry about them and the moth balls. We have a lot of poisonous snakes in our area, but I don't plan on getting close enough to them to decide if they are poisonous or not. Seems like every snake anyone kills around here is either a copperhead or black snake or rattler. I guess water snakes or some other variety looks so similar because I know we have non poisonous snakes here to. Rattle snakes and black snakes are obvious but the other snakes must be similar looking to copperheads.

Keep in mind putting mothballs out can kill other animals and they will dissolve faster in the elements such has water this is why we use the water bottles. It detours what we want deterred and will not harm anything else. We have not even seen a rat snake since we have utilized this method and we live in the sticks our property is 60% woodlands.

We use the 20 ounce water bottles after they have been emptied let them dry out we keep the lids and drill a very small hole in the bottom of the bottle,  then fill them a quarter of the way with mothballs and hang them a few inches off the ground about every ten feet around our coops. We shake them once a week to increase the scent, We use the water bottles so has not to have the mothballs sitting around where any animal can get to them has mothballs will kill anything that ingests them,  usually we only have to fill them once a year. We also buy the mothballs from our dollar store has it is cheaper than the bigger chains.

Thanks so much for the info. There are rattlers in the area. I personally killed 1 & didn't know I had it in me. You never know til it confronts you. I thought of all my animals & how lucky it didn't get me cause I almost stepped on it. I was watering the chickens. I think it was afraid of the hose.I knew I couldn't let it live. I cut off its head with a shovel. I'm defiantly going to try this method. Inside & out. I live in a 110 yr old farm house. Was a dairy farm years ago.

I do recommend not getting that close to venomous snakes I have worked with reptiles in the past and it could not end well, I keep a varmint rifle around for those instances life or death I will survive from a distance. Also keep in mind Juvenile Rattlers are more deadly than adults has they cannot control the amount of venom they release.

I do recommend not getting that close to venomous snakes I have worked with reptiles in the past and it could not end well, I keep a varmint rifle around for those instances life or death I will survive from a distance. Also keep in mind Juvenile Rattlers are more deadly than adults has they cannot control the amount of venom they release.

He was about 3 ft.(not more) 4 rattles. I'm :old ..at least old enough to know better. That snake was so distracted by the long black hose I drug out it didn't move for a while. Just lay stretched out not moving. I made a phone call to my husband which warned me not to. Told me to get the gun. I was afraid I'd miss so got the shovel instead. I wouldn't recommend what I did to anyone but I just knew what I could do. It was so easy. I must admit the rush from killing that 1 felt good. ;)

I came home yesterday to a missing Bantum Rooster. He was about 3-4 months old and was my favorite. I also had a dead bantum hen and two others that where sick. I was soooooo puzzled. I was also short one egg from a hen that lays very consistantly. Could not figure out what had happened. Went to the chicken house this morning to find that my duck had laid her egg on the floor which is really unusual for her she always lays in a certain nest. My Blackie (hen) was walking back and forth in front of the nests looking in like she was wanting to in but was affraid to. So I slowly looked down in the nest to find a five foot black snake curled up in Duckys nest with a big lump in his tummy. It was time for him to go. I found a big pipe and smashed his head in. I have 23 babies in the brooder out there. I can't afford for him to continue snacking on my babies. I am prob going to lose the other two that he had ahould of yesterday. They are doing worse today than yesterday, I wish there was something I could do for them. I will be investing in some moth balls and trying them in the water bottles. I have put too much time and money into my chickens for the snakes to be eating them and my eggs. Hopefully the moth balls will deter mice and rats as well so that the snakes will not be following them into my chicken house.

I also live in Missouri and know that the black snakes here can reach ten feet easlily. I have seen several that where close.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom