Sneaky broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GrannySue, Jul 17, 2010.

1. GrannySue

GrannySue Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 broodies right now - a Buff Orp and a mutt. Buffy is sitting on 4 duck eggs, Puff is sitting on nothing at all. I tried giving her one of Buffy's but she didn't want it. Guess she figured it belonged to Buffy or something. [​IMG]
    I put a small glass container in front of her in case she was thirsty during a heat wave last week. She spilled the water out and snuggled the little jar under herself!
    She does get 1 egg to incubate for part of each day though. 1 of my Australorps gets into the box with her and lays an egg, then Stuff pulls it under herself.
    Chickens are weird ...

Oh, and Puff the Magic Chicken is still taking her job as foster Mum very seriously after 4 weeks. Her babies (runner ducklings) are taller than she is but she still calls them to eat when I put food into the bowl in their cage.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. GrannySue

Me again! I gave in and put 2 duck eggs under Puff last night. Not viable because a runner duck was sitting on them only part-time. That is, she would sit most of the day but when darkness started she went into the duck house with her pals. (I understand this is typical runner behaviour.)
    When I gave the hen the eggs she seemed delighted! Happy little purr noises, snuggled down to cover them. But some time today she removed one egg and put it into the water jar I mentioned in my previous post.
    Very strange ...

3. GrannySue

For the record - she's managed to put another duck egg into the water jar.
    I don't think she exactly "gets" this broody thing.

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Maybe she wants to hatch pheseant and it is her way of telling you! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:hahaha @ this .... you got strange hens sue

6. 500592

500592 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    has she laid any of her own eggs

7. GrannySue

I tried her with an emu egg.
    No go, she pushed it away but she's still sitting.

She hasn't laid any of her own eggs since about July 1.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, I'm gonna subscribe to this thread! It may be the Buffy name (that's my BO who is now raising the solo chick SHE hatched 22 days ago....), the Puff the Magic Chicken name (I have dragon tattoos and PTMD was my FAVORITE ballad for most of my life) or just the determined nature of Puff's broodiness. I want to find out what happens! [​IMG]

Humming: Puff the Magic Dragon, lived by the sea.... and frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called OnnaLea!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  9. GrannySue

Well, she finally gave up after spending all day yesterday in the main yard with her friends. No interest in the (empty) nest box today so far. It will be interesting to see what happens when (if?) an Australorp lays an egg in the nest box. Photo shows why I call her Puff.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by