1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sneaky Girl Has a Nest!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sketto, Oct 12, 2015.

1. sketto

sketto New Egg

Apr 6, 2015
    Charleston, SC (USA)
    So it's my first year raising ducks, and I have a "Rouen" (she was sold to me as a Rouen but I think she's a mallard) female. Today I found her sitting on a nest of four eggs. She had hidden herself in the ivy, and I only really knew she was there because she started hissing at me.
    She's not on the nest full-time, as I see her and her beau walking around the yard sometimes.
    Should I let her keep sitting on the nest, or should I take the eggs away? If I take them away, are they okay to eat? I don't want to find any surprises in the eggs....
    Thanks!

2. ralph a

ralph a Out Of The Brooder

Its up to you if you let here stay on the eggs or not . She maybe getting ready to lay a nest full of eggs . My mallards lay from 12 to 20 eggs before setting . As for egging the eggs you can candle them first . A cheap candler is piece of cardboard with a small whole for the light to shine threw from a bright light in a dark room . But baby ducks do look nice in the yard .

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is she safe? If she's out where predators could get to her, they probably will. I would just make sure she's safe and let her sit. I would not eat the eggs.

Or, you could candle the eggs and look for development and make your decision based on that. But mallards may collect a whole bunch of eggs in the nest before they get really down to business.

Again, Please make sure she's safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by